From:
gluten-free <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
gluten-free <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:59:10 -0600

First of all I think that I left out a few improtant pieces of information, in my original post. 1) I am talking about the Catholic Faith, 2) My daughter goes to Catholic School which means that she takes communion every Friday at school mass and every Sunday during regular mass.

Now for my summary, I received about 50 responses to my message, some very heated, but most very concerned.  There are alot of wonderful people out there to bounce ideas off of and I thank god that he has provided me with a sounding board for my questions.

I had a few people that said that they use low gluten wafers, a few from Europe, made from Wheat Starch, and a few from Missouri, they seemed comfortable with thier decision and most stated that we all probably get contaminated more that the amount in the wafers every day just from cross contamination.

This fact makes me think that it is not worth giving my daughter the wafers with gluten and then have her get more gluten from outside unknown sources.

Others stated that I would be sending my daughter the wrong message, that it is ok to injest just a little gluten for some reasons
but no gluten for others. I have raised her knowing that NO GLUTEN is that law of her life, and she will become very ill and could die if she cheats.

Most people stated, in various creative, some not so nice, ways that I should tell my priest NO, that I will not use my daughter as a lab rat. (something about asking him to try a little rat poison)

Because my daughter does not severly react,it would be hit or miss if I caught it, and her blood test isnt until August, I hate to make her go through an extra test just find out if the wafers were effecting her.

I believe that the lord presented us with this challange, I do not believe that he ment for the host to be Wheat Only, I do believe that he is blessing my daughters rice host at each mass, and that if my priest will continue to allow it I will just continue as we are.  I hope he lets us, otherwise we will just have her partake of the precious blood.

For those of you who are intersted in the low gluten wafers here is the information that I have, Phone 1-800-223-2772, Fax 660-944-2132 or email [log in to unmask]

As for the Bishops approving the low gluten host, that is fine for them and I hope that it is successful for those who choose to use them, but I am not.

The lord gave me two wonderful Celiac children and gave me the job of protecting them, and that I will do, I cannot imagine finding out when they are grown that they have some form of cancer that is killing them, all because I didnt hold strong.

If I did not answer the questions you are asking please email me and I will try to do a better job.

Mary, Iowa