Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:15:30 -0500

And here's more:

I bought a zojirushi bread maker for xmas and LOVE it! I got the newest
model and am glad I did (BBCC-X20)

My paddles do NOT stay in the bread (however they do make holes).  Bette
Hagman recommends using plastic tongs to remove them just before the bake
cycle if you don't want holes, but I don't bother.

I HIGHLY recommend spending the extra $50 or so for the newest model
BBCC-X20 because you can open the top without interrupting the cycle and it
has a stronger motor.  This is a nice feature as I DO need to use a spatula
(only once) to scrape down sides once it starts mixing and "ease" the dough
into mixing smoothly.

I use Bette Hagman's Basic Featherlight Rice Bread recipe with the almond
featherlight bread variation and it comes out the most like real bread I've
ever found.  I loved to bake regular bread before being diagnosed CD, and
this is almost the real thing!  The machine makes her large loaf, and I've
programmed it for that recipe as follows:  preheat 15, knead 30, rise1 0,
rise2 0, rise3 50, bake 50, cool 0.  perfect every time!
************************
I have one of these machines and here is what I do.  When I
turn the machine on, I set a timer for 15 minutes (the
length of time when the rise starts).  When my timer beeps,
I fish out the paddles by first turning them in the opposite
direction to unlock them and then using a spatulas and my
fingers to get them out.  I then smooth out the top of the
batter.  Taking out the paddles helps make the holes in the
resulting loaf smaller.  Because it is a horizontal loaf,
you can get the paddles out relatively easily.

I also use a Rival, folding compact deli slicer (purchased
through Ace Hardware's catalog) to make nice thin slices of
bread and fix up peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for
everyone.  Below is a recipe developed by a woman in our CSA
group specifically for the Zojirushi.  Her name is Irene,
thus the name of the recipe.

-------------------
IRENE’S SORGHUM BREAD
For the Zojirushi Bread Machine

Variations include Almost Rye,
Cinnamon, Cheese, Raisin, Dairy Free
Prepared today by Cheryl Borgen (post 26480.1 on Delphi)
Original recipe by Irene Backes

Ingredients:
2      Cups Sorghum Flour (Bobs Red Mill)
1 ½  Cups Tapioca Flour (Vitamin Cottage)
¼     Cup sugar (C&H) plus 2 tsp sugar
3 ½   tsp Xanthan Gum      (Vitamin Cottage)
2/3  Cups Nonfat powdered milk (Kroger)
1 ½  tsp salt
1 Lg tsp Dough Enhancer (Kitchen Resource)
1 Lg tsp Soy Lecithin powdered or granules
1 1/8 tsp Dry Yeast (Red Star)

Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to mix.
In the bread machine baking pan add the following:
1 ½  Cups warm water (I hold a little back if humidity is
high or the bread will fall)
1 tsp Cider Vinegar (Heinz apple)
¼ Cup oil (Bertolli’s light olive)
3 Large eggs (beaten and at room temperature)

Add the dry ingredients on top of the wet ingredients in the
baking pan.
With a spatula slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet
until pretty will mixed.
Start the bread machine on programmed memory as shown below.

When bread has finished mixing and starting the rise cycle,
use a spatula to pull out the paddles, turning them back
slightly to release from locked position.  This will prevent
large paddle holes in your loaf.
Cool bread on rack until the next day. You can slice with an
electric slicer or knife and place in zip lock bags to
freeze.  You can leave it on the counter in an airtight bag
for 2 or 3 days to enjoy fresh soft bread, and then freeze.
It is also great toasted.

NOTES:  I have made this bread without the dough enhancer
when I couldn’t find it. Contact Kitchen Resource at
801-261-3222.  Use a small coffee mill to grind your
spices.  The DeLonghi Coffee Mill adjusts from extra fine to
course, is easy to clean and can be found at Costco for
about $25.
I mix up three or four bowls of the dry ingredients while I
am measuring it out and reserve the other bowls until the
first loaf is done.  After the machine cools a short while I
start another loaf.

The memory cycle for the Zojirushi is set as follows:
Knead  15 minutes
Rise I (skip)   0
Rest  (skip)   0  Total time is 2 hours, 15 minutes plus
cooling time on the rack.
Rise II  30
Bake  60
Cool  30

VARIATIONS:
Almost Rye Bread – Add to dry ingredients 1 TBS Fennel seed
ground fine, 1 TBS Caraway seed ground very course (almost
in half).  See NOTES above.
Cinnamon Raisin – Add a cup of raisins about 10 minutes into
the mixing cycle.  After the mixing stops add cinnamon to
your taste (1-3 TBS) and streak it through the batter with a
spatula.
Cinnamon – Same as above and omit the raisins.
Cheese – Add 1 cup or so of cheese.  Add during mixing cycle
if shredded, after mixing stops if cubed and stir with a
spatula.
Dairy Free – Omit dough enhancer which contains whey, if you
are sensitive, and replace the powdered milk with a
non-dairy powder like “Better Than Milk” Rice powder or
Vance’s Dairy Free.
*******************
I highly recommend the Zojirushi for GF breadmaking.  My favorite 'white
bread' recipe is adaptable - - with more sugar it becomes a base for
strawberry shortcake, with cinnamon and raisins added is remininscent
of old fashioned raisin bread.  I have even made dried fruit bread,
then frosted the loaf at Christmas.  The paddles have NEVER stuck into
my loaves during baking (4 years and counting).  Perhaps it depends on
the recipe, but this programmable machine is perfect for gluten free
bread.  Bargain price, too, at Amazon!  Enjoy
******************
Yes,  The mixing paddles stay in the loaf as it bakes.  The paddles are
flush with the base of the pan, and do make a hole in the bottom of the loaf
as it bakes.  As you turn the loaf pan upside down to "dump" the loaf onto
the cooling rack, the paddles remain in the pan.  They can be easily removed
for pan cleaning after ther bread is baked.  My loaf rises to about 2/3 of
the pan height.

I should also advise you that I use the 'homemade' cycle to prevent the
second cycle of rising and kneeding.  I use about 10 minutes of warm-up, 45
minutes to rise, and about 50 miinutes to bake. I usually use the light
crust setting.

Here is my recipe:

1 cup garfava flour
1 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 cup dry milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp xanthan gum
2 tsp red star yeast
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp cider vinegar
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Cup warm water

Mix dry ingredients and allow to warm to room temperature.
mix wet ingredients and pour in loaf pan (make sure mixing paddles are in
place). Spoon dry ingredients in on top of liquid. Select your cycle and
push the button.