From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:16:32 -0400
I have a customer/friend with a Win98SE system that is having serious problems.

Power Surge "took out" PS...
Hard drive has been corrupted "somewhat", since computer will
run perfect with "BartPE", and also with lots of things limited in msconfig...
The misc error messages had become "so bad" we almost formatted
last night, but I kept "fighting machine" for a cure...
To show how dumb I am, I turned down an order on a new machine since
this one is all they need for another year, (max...)

IF we bail on a software repair, and choose an in-place repair install,
(an OS overwrite install of WIN98SE), do I have to "back out" anything
in advance like in the old days of Win95, or is Win98SE STILL the "old days"
in this situation?
Specifically, (but not limited to), do I need to "get out" MSIE6, etc...

I might pull or disconnect lots of new hardware that is "too new" for
WinSE in an (install) situation like this...

If we "overwrite" the OS -- Is there a switch that will cause a forced re-write
of the files, or will "install" glance at the files, see them, and then not bother
to overwrite them?

Sorry if this sounds like Computer 101 questions, but I have another
emergency to run out to and I am brainstorming...

Thanks in advance,                             Rick Glazier