Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:59:11 +1300
Dianne, there's no way I'd describe your installing extra ram as 'easy' - personally I hate trying to analyse older machines and correctly guess the ram type, as there's too many ways it can be screwed up.

Modern DDR ram is a breeze - older stuff can be any one of 30 -40 types or sizes.  Even if you get what seems to be the right type, it might run ok to begin with but later on cause inconsistent and hard-to-trace lockups and crashes.

In your case, the first thing I'd do would be try to correctly identify your motherboard.  Then I'd go looking online for a downloadable manual - that's assuming you don't already have one on hand, of course.

I'd also go online and see if I could find the mobo maker's website.  There should be information there about the type of ram that suits your board.

But by far the best way would be to take your box to your local computer serviceman and let him sort it out. Or, arm yourself with all the info you can find about your mobo, and get your friendly dealer to buy in what you need.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand