EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 05:08:45 -0500
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:28, Chuck Burns wrote:

>To be simplistic (and simple is often the best answer) I'd say - move!
>We are designed to walk and we need to make a practice of doing it
>daily. I've been eating paleo for one year now and have dropped 87
>pounds. About three months ago I started walking daily. At this point
>in time I walk an average of a little over an hour a day. Some days 45
>minutes, some days 2 hours, some days in the hills and sometimes on
>the beach. I can't tell you how much better I feel.  The effect is far
>beyond the 400 to 500 calories it burns and the weight loss. I
>recently read an article on Paul Chek's website called "The Power of
>Walking" ( http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm?select=38 ). He
>talks about walking effect on metabolism, circulation and the internal
>organs. At some time in the near future (about another 40 pound loss)
>I'm going to add running the mix. I plan on doing it in an interval
>fashion. I am thoroughly convinced that it is necessary to move in our
>primary gait, walking, to maintain health. I would suggest reading
>"Walking" by Casey Meyers. In addition to all the normal stuff he
>talks about the evolution of walking.
>Chuck

This is so refreshing! So sensible!  In these days of gyms, personal
trainers and nonsense such as 'correct form' and 'sports nutrition', free
goodies like walking are far too much undervalued.  And Chuck's got the
right idea: hill walking, some running (not jogging - please - that's not
Paleolithic), and build in a non-fitness, non-exercise purpose to the
walking.  Obviously the ideal is learning about the dynamics of the
natural world you are passing through and also developing a cognitive map
of your neighbourhood - both very Paleo.  another would be walking and
talking with a friend.  So, before you know it, you are restoring
wholeness (without any aromatherapy and other individualistic, consumerist
tosh that goes with it in magazines) and on the path to greater self-
sufficincy in your well-being.

Keith