C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 17:16:16 +0100
On Saturday 02 Oct 2004 00:54, Mike Collis wrote:
> Hi Deri,
>
> The electoral college comes from states rights, and each states has a
> certain number of votes, depending upon population.  California and
> Massachusetts are hugely High density Democratic strongholds that the
> popular vote from those states would overwhelm the popular vote in the
> states which are Republican. Instead of the winner take all mentality
> now being shown by the electoral college to the states, I wonder what
> would happen if we did the math by percentages, not by winner take all.
> At least those of us voting our protests wouldn't feel so left out.
>
> Mike
>
> Tag: Warning!  This Powerchair has an attitude problem!!!

Thanks Mike (and everyone else). The "winner takes all" systems (like UK &
USA) were always touted as providing "strong government" (the implication
being that the plurality of parties favoured in much of Europe produced "weak
government"). However another view would be that one encourages arrogance and
the other pragmatism.

Cheers

Deri