From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:49:22 -0500
Hi Gary.

That really depends upon whether or not you need Windows XP Professional's
network and security support.  If you are going to continue to use it as a
home system without the need for any kind of security, then Windows XP Home
works fine.  I have been running XP Home here with JAWS for a little over a
year, and it works fine.  There is only two things I would say, and that is
to make sure you have 512 MB of RAM, and the other is that if you are
running JFW 4.50, either go up to 4.51, or to JAWS 5.0.  I found JAWS 4.50
to be pretty sluggish in some circumstances on the internet, and JAWS 4.51
and JAWS 5.0 both seemed to be much better in this regard.

Otherwise, I've enjoyed good stability on Windows XP Home.  I'm running a
1.7 GHz AMD Athelon processor and 512 MB of RAM, here.  So, I'd say if you
don't need the network stuff, go for the XP Home.  I found it to be a lot
more stable than '98 SE, much as I did like that operating system.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 07:18 PM 12/18/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi All.and merry Christmas.
>
>I have been toying with the idea of updating my operating system on my
>computer to either XP or Pro.  I understand that I can transfer all working
>Jaws functions to the XP version, but can't do this with the Pro version.  I
>know that there are many more security advantages withthe the PRO version,
>but is it worth the extra cost to update JAWS?  Gary KB2YAA

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Work e-mail:  [log in to unmask]