VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:04:47 -0700
Hi Amy,
There is no simple answer to accessing PDF files, it depends on more varriables
than some meteorological models. <G>

some versions of acrobat reader can save some PDF files to html or text.
However I am not optomistic about older files that were simply scanned to PDF.

There are hat fulls of conversion programs out there which claim to
convert from PDF to various formats including text.  Again the results
are all over tha map particularly if there are such horors as multi-collumn
formats and "gasp" tables.

We have had some good luck with a french graphics conversion
shareware program called "Konvertor" (note the french spelling.)
You might try googling that and see if they are up to date.

Note also that Kursweil 1000's reading system also has a similar printer driver.
Also, if you are able to read larger print, Acrobat can sometimes magnify
the screen I believe, but have no direct experience.
You might check with A squared about "MAGIC" the screen magnifier and see
what they can do with PDF if magnification would be of any
use to you.

some people will tell yu that cut, copy and paste solves all PDF problems,
they are simply inexperienced with complex documents!

The inaccessibility of complex PDF files has been a major stumbling block to
my engineering career, I hope it doesn't get in your way that badly.

On a happier subject, I hope, Howe's the sailing?

Best
tom Fowle
Smith-Kettlewell Rehab Engineering Center.