VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
George Zeinoun <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Zeinoun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:10:21 +0200
Hello folks and excuse me for the cross posting because this is a general question.
Most of the modern laptops come these days with no built-in floppy drive and no traditional serial com1. For a person using combi braille display with all commonly used screen readers i.e Hal, jaws and window eyes now how can we connect a combi braille and let it work? I have tried Hal using a pc card from socket with dual serial ports, I got com6 and com 7 on the card and hal worked just fine, window eyes version 4.211 and jaws version 500.621 does not reach these ports. I connected a serial2usb cable it gave me com8 which I could change to com1 but no luck not even with hal. On that socket card I have it is impossible to reassign com6 and com7 to com1 and com2, what to do now?
Maybe in jaws I can edit manually the jfw.ini to direct it to com6 or com7, but this is not proven as of yet, what about window eyes ver 4.211?
This person cannot afford a new modern braille display and has the combi braille and is going now to xp, it would be nice if we can help him to use his existing equipment before purchasing a Focus braille display etc.

Thanks, George Zeinoun.
Timmerv. 6A, 541 63 Skövde     SWEDEN
Tel: +46500438179