VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 12:39:07 -0700
Hi to all.

Ben, I have two comments.  First, if the speech doesn't like gibberish
(assuming you have one of the speech programs up and running) or if the
screen doesn't have the language characters on it (it would look like
gibberish to me), then you have not, in fact, changed the default language
settings. You may want to try resetting your languages again and reboot your
computer immediately after you've finished.

However, before doing that, I am going to assume that you are using a
Microsoft Windows-based system.  The standard version of Internet Explorer,
when you load it, does not, as I understand it, automatically load all of
the language features.  Before attempting to switch languages again, you may
wish to do one or both of the following procedures:

1.  Reinstall Internet Explorer through the Add/Remove programs feature in
your Control Panel.  Only this time choose the "Custom" option to load
individual languages or the "Full" option to load everything (the default
setting here is a "standard" setting Microsoft believes most installers will
use--don't use it).

2.  The other option would be to go through Windows Update and load the
language updates that way.  These are not the "Critical" Microsoft updates
but the 2nd group of updates (the name of which escapes me now).

Be forewarned:  if you should choose to load the full version of Internet
Explorer 6 and/or add all the language updates, it will take a VERY long
time for everything to load, and it could tax your system's memory.  Good
luck.

To all, take care.

Ted Chittenden