VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:01:37 -0700
Hi,
This is indeed a voice recognition program, meaning you have a microphone
attached to the computer to use the program, and yes, you speak to the
computer.  Voice recognition programs are not for everyone, but some people
who need them and/or are really motivated to use them can do well.  You
must "train" the computer to understand your voice.  In some cases this is
relatively easy, in other cases it takes alot of time and patience, just
depending on the persons memory for learning new things, and how well the
program understands your particular voice or accent.  You'd need to check with
the manufacturer of your particular screenreader/screenmagnifier to see if
they have tested it with viavoice.

The last I knew, Dragon Naturally Speaking Professional, with Jaws and a
program called Jawbone(must have this to get the others to work together) was
the best combo for people using full fledged screenreaders.  It's an expensive
combination of products but seems to be the best or in some cases only option
for some people. It can however take quite a bit of tweaking to get it all to
work properly together, but has been done successfully by some of our students.

Patty Arnold, Rehabilitation Teacher