VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:30:44 -0700
Hi, Sheila and all.  Concerning the free use of calling Information by the
blind, this was actually a deal made by James Gashel and Joyce Scanlan of
the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) during the early 1980's when I
was heavily involved in the organization.  This was when there was just one
phone company (Ma Bell, if anyone remembers), and my memory from reading
about it at the time was that negotiations were tough.  What was even
tougher was getting the deal passed as a resolution at the NFB convention.
A sizable group of the membership and some state chapter leaders felt that
at a time when the NFB was trying to say that blind people were like
everybody else, we shouldn't be seeking specialized privileges.  After the
phone industry was deregulated by court order in 1984, the new Baby Bells
(with some lobbying by the NFB and others, I presume) kept the deal intact.
Sprint was never a part of this deal, because the company was not affiliated
with any of the Bell Companies, and I don't even think it existed as a
company at the time.  While I suspect the ADA would apply in this area now,
someone would probably have to raise a court challenge to do it.  I wonder
if any members of the NFB would now be interested in negotiating a deal with
Sprint in this area.
One other note:  according to NPR (National Public Radio), over 10 million
people registered with the FTC to have their numbers taken off of
telemarketing lists the first day the option became available.  Because of
the numbers and the threat to their businesses, expect the telemarketing
industry to mount a legal challenge based on the First Amendment to the U.S.
Constitution.  I know that in the past, the U.S. Suppreme Court has given
commercial speech all of the rights as noncommercial speech, but a
non-decision released at the end of the last term may signal a rethinking of
the Court on this issue.
That's it for now.  Take care.

Ted Chittenden