VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:27:31 -0400
Hard to match dads' gift

Sunday, June 15, 2003
Hard to match dads' gift

Bike trip to raise funds for visually-impaired daughters

By KRISTEN ENEVOLD, CALGARY SUN

Two Ontario teenagers will have a tough time thinking of a Father's Day gift
to match what their
dads are doing to raise money for the visually-impaired.

Kevin Gibson and John Hearn embarked on a cross-country bike trip starting
in Vancouver earlier this
month, with the goal of raising enough funds for a digital library
conversion by the time they reach
Toronto near the end of July.

The equipment will allow both their daughters, who were born blind, and
thousands of others across
the country, to read the same things many of us take for granted.

"They're both really excited about it -- we've been calling both the girls
every second day or so
and they're cheering us on," said Hearn, father of 18-year-old Paula, as he
and Gibson took a day
off to rest in Calgary yesterday.

"We really want to raise awareness of this cause -- it's a personal thing,"
he said, adding since
leaving Vancouver June 1, they've met many others who face the same
obstacles as their daughters.

So far, the pair is $17,000 into their goal of raising the $150,000 required
for the library
conversion -- and they're not going to stop once they reach their final
destination, said Gibson,
whose 16-year-old daughter Samantha is cheering him on from their home in
Guelph, Ont.

"We're going to continue to raise funds even after the trip -- but if
everyone in Calgary donated
just $2 each, we could accomplish so much more," he said.

In addition to raising awareness and funds, both men have another lofty
goal.

"We want to have at least one day where we'll go for 200 km, just to say we
can do it," Gibson said.

"So far the most challenging part was in the mountains ... it was really hot
and the hills were
tough with all our equipment."

To donate, visit any local Canadian National Institute for the Blind office,
or deposit at any Royal
Bank branch, to account #1008622.

To view an archive of BlindNews messages go to:
http://www.snowbeast.net/blind/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/86xolB/TM
You are always welcome and can subscribe by sending a blank e-mail at
Your Friend
Zahid