VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 09:10:19 -0500
From: "Patrick Douglas Crispen" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 1:20 AM
Subject: TOURBUS -- 1 FEB 03 -- HAIL COLUMBIA

               TOURBUS Volume 8, Number 37 -- 1 Feb 2003
   [ For best results view this with a monospace font like Courier. ]
    _________ ____________ ________ __________ _____________ ___ _
   /         |            /        |          |             /   | \
  |          |           /         |          |            /    |  \
  |__________|__________/__________|__________|___________/_____|   \
 /                                                              |----\
|                     The Internet Tourbus                      |////|
\_______________________________________________________________|____|
       /   \  /   \                                             /   \
       \___/  \___/  T h e   I n t e r n e t   T o u r B u s    \___/
          Visit the Tourbus Home Page at http://www.TOURBUS.com !

                 TODAY'S TOURBUS TOPIC: Hail Columbia

A few hours ago, the Space Shuttle Columbia broke apart during
reentry, killing all seven crewmembers.  Our thoughts and prayers are
with the crewmembers' families and with a grieving world shocked by
this tragedy.

Over the next few days, every news organization on the planet will be
following this story closely.  To keep up to date with the recovery
efforts and the subsequent investigations, two sites you should
bookmark and visit frequently are Yahoo Full Coverage's Space Shuttle
page at

<A HREF="http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?
cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=Science&cat=Space_Shuttle">
http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=Science&cat=Space_Shuttle
</A>

and Google News at

<A HREF="http://news.google.com/">
http://news.google.com/ </A>.

NASA TV is also a wonderful resource for news straight from the US
space agency.  NASA TV is broadcast on GE-2, transponder 9C, C-Band,
located at 85 degrees West longitude.  The frequency is 3880.0 MHz.
Polarization is vertical and audio is monaural at 6.8 MHz.

If you have Windows Media Player, you can also watch NASA TV online at

<A
HREF="http://www.broadcast.com/learning_and_education/science/space/nasa/nas
a_television/">
http://www.broadcast.com/learning_and_education/science/space/nasa/nasa_tele
vision/ </A>.

You may need to cut and paste this link so that it appears on one line
in your browser's address bar.

Real Player users can watch NASA TV online at

<A HREF="http://198.116.66.254:8080/ramgen/encoder/live.rm">
http://198.116.66.254:8080/ramgen/encoder/live.rm </A>.

If neither of these links work, please visit

<A HREF="http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html">
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html </A>.

The two US newspapers that will offer the best, most informed coverage
of this tragedy are the Houston Chronicle and the Huntsville Times.
Houston is the home of the Johnson Space Center, responsible for
manned space flight, and Huntsville is home of the Marshall Space
Flight Center, responsible for space propulsion and design.  The
hometown newspapers in both towns are packed with journalists who are
experts in space flight and Shuttle operations.

The Houston Chronicle's "SpaceChronicle" page is at

<A HREF="http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/space/index.html">
http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/space/index.html </A>.

I do want to warn you that the SpaceChronicle page is currently
displaying a National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration
radar image from Shreveport, Louisiana, showing the path of Columbia
debris as it moves across Texas into Louisiana.  This image is quite
disturbing.

The Huntsville Times doesn't have a site of its own, rather it
publishes its content on the al.com site at

<A HREF="http://www.al.com/huntsvilletimes/">
http://www.al.com/huntsvilletimes/ </A>

The Huntsville Times does not update its articles as often as the
Houston Chronicle does, so expect a little lag.

For our fellow TOURBUS riders in Texas and Louisiana, NASA would like
for me to pass the following information on to you:

     Anyone who believes they have found debris related to Columbia
     should call the Johnson Space Center Emergency Operations Center,
     (281)-483-3388. Be aware that hazardous chemicals may be present;
     do not disturb or move any debris.

     All debris is United States Government property and is critical
     to the investigation of the shuttle accident. Any and all debris
     from the accident is to be left alone and reported to Government
     authorities. Unauthorized persons found in possession of accident
     debris will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Let me add that if you do locate any debris, contact not only the
Johnson Space Center but also you local or county law enforcement
agency.

Finally, let me say again that our thoughts and prayers are with the
crewmembers' families and with a grieving world shocked by this
tragedy.

Hail Columbia.

=====================[ Tourbus Rider Information ]===================
   The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
     Copyright 1995-2003, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved

      Subscribe, Signoff, Archives, Free Stuff and More at the
              Tourbus Website - http://www.TOURBUS.com