VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 18:57:05 -0500
Frank,

I am a blind person who has used audio description from time to time.  to
answer your overall question:

If it's ok with the family or I can pay a describer or get one to do it
for free why should a funeral not be described?

It should.  What concerned me about the recent article in the Cincinnati
Inquirer is that audio description provided by a professional audio
describer, whether paid or unpaid, was held up as the model and the only
method of how blind people could attend a funeral and be fully included.
I have attended funerals and received the information about the ceremony
mentioned in the article.  The difference was that I expressed my
interest
in inclusion and people from the community gathered together and assisted
me in being included.  Flower arrangements were described, hymns were
read out and rehearsed in advance, and someone willing to tell me the
visuals sat next to me.  No attempt was made to locate a professionally
trained audio describer, either paid or volunteer.  By advocating for
professionally trained audio describers at funerals, is there not a
substitution of community support with that of professional support
outside the community?  Are these community supports inadequate?

Frank,  you said below that you *should* be able to have a professional
audio  describer served up on demand on a funeral you plan to attend.
The method to enforce Your "should" is through the Americans with
Disabilities Act, specifically Section 36.303 of title III.  If you were
to file a lawsuit and prevail in a trial against a family or funeral
home, it would be necessary to show that community supports and
assistance are not "effective communication" and that a professional
audio describer is the only person qualified to allow you to participate
at the funeral.  You did not state below how people from the community
are inadequate and cannot whatsoever be of help in including you in a
funeral.  Suing someone is serious business.  If you were to obtain a
judgment for damages you suffered and to compensate you for the audio
describer that you paid to describe the funeral to you, the judgment
could be enforced by the court.  This could include the seizure of
assets, including someone's bank accounts, household possessions, car,
and home.  Wages could also be garnished.

If people want to bring an audio describer with them to a funeral, great.
I do believe that there are other methods which celebrate community and
bring blind people closer to non-blind persons that do not rely on
trained professionals to participate in this aspect of community life.  I
do not support this as a public policy issue meaning that I do not
support disability discrimination lawsuits against grieving families or
others who fail to provide professional audio description upon request.

Kelly