VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 16:24:38 -0500
This is a tricky situation. There is a nasty virus circulating out there
called the vun do virus. It will change names and reinstall itself every
time you start windows. It is nasty but it can be removed with the
proper tools. I was hit with this virus because I was stupid. I use
Netscape but recently started a My Space page for my hobby, ghost
hunting <smile>. My Space doesn't work well with Netscape so I started
using Internet Explorer. I visited a page and what I thought was IE
asked me to install a plug in for Media Player 11. I said ok and
installed it but nothing happened or so I thought. It lay there waiting
for me to reboot. Once I did all the bells and whistles went off. The
first thing it did was disable Norton permanently then wiped all my
restore points out. It then attacked my files. After two days i found
'the fix' and finally got rid of it and reinstalled Norton. I also
installed RemoveIT, a free virus scanning utility.

You can get remove it from this site:
http://www.incodesolutions.com/removeit.php

You can get the vun do fix tool here:
Go to this site and download the Vun Do Fix tool and run it. This is
from Symantic and is free

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2004-112210-3747-99

You can also download VunDoFix from here:

http://vundofix.atribune.org  This one isn't from Norton.

Phishing has become a major issue lately. Don't ever give out any
information unless you know who or what you are dealing with. Use
services like Pay Pal when ordering on line. No matter how careful you
are however you can always get hit with Malware or adware just by
entering a web site. My Norton is set to auto protect and catches these
when they do try to download.

Good luck,

Mick