From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 08:14:45 -0500
I just finished working on an XPS T500, and I was a bit surprised to see
that it came with a Promise Controller card.  You probably would have picked
up on this, if your T450 also had one, but this was just a thought.

Since it sounds like the IDE controller isn't being properly installed, I
wonder if removing the device and letting windows redetect it would be of
any help.  You might also try running Intel's chipset driver package to see
if this perhaps will replace a missing or corrupted file.

Since it sounds like data may have become corrupted on the hard drive.  It
maybe worthwhile to run somesort of surface scan of the hard drive (for
example, the drive manufacturer's utilities that can be run from a floppy).
You'll want to back up data first, since if the drive is dying, this
sometimes finishes it off.

Hope some of this helps.

John