From:
Sharon Giles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:54:10 -0600
Authors
  O'Keefe JH.  Cordain L.
Title
  Cardiovascular disease resulting from a diet and lifestyle at odds with
  our paleolithic genome: How to become a 21st-century hunter-gatherer
  [Review]
Source
  Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 79(1):101-108, 2004 Jan.
Abstract
  Our genetic make-up, shaped through millions of years of evolution,
  determines our nutritional and activity needs. Although the human genome
  has remained primarily unchanged since the agricultural revolution 10,000
  years ago, our diet and lifestyle have become progressively more divergent
  from those of our ancient ancestors. Accumulating evidence suggests that
  this mismatch between our modern diet and lifestyle and our Paleolithic
  genome is playing a substantial role in the ongoing epidemics of obesity,
  hypertension, diabetes, and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. Until
  500 generations ago, all humans consumed only wild and unprocessed food
  foraged and hunted from their environment. These circumstances provided a
  diet high in lean protein, polyunsaturated fats (especially omega-3
  [omega-3] fatty acids), monounsaturated fats, fiber, vitamins, minerals,
  antioxidants, and other beneficial phytochemicals. Historical and
  anthropological studies show hunter-gatherers generally to be healthy,
  fit, and largely free of the degenerative cardiovascular diseases common
  in modern societies. This review outlines the essence of our
  hunter-gatherer genetic legacy and suggests practical steps to realign our
  modern milieu with our ancient genome in an effort to improve
  cardiovascular health. [References: 76]
Institution
  Reprint available from:
  O'Keefe JH
  Cardiovasc Consultants, Mid Amer Heart Inst
  4330 Wornall Rd,Suite 2000
  Kansas City, MO 64111
  USA

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max!