From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 03:42:28 -0500
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:39:30 -0500, Bruce Merritt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Brain tumors mitochondia don,t work.
>Cancer cells generate all energy from glycolysis(glucose hogs)
>Ketones bypass glycolysis go directly to mitochondia.
>Processed into huge amount of energy(more than glucose).
>Ketones make normal cells get superhealthy.
>Tumor cells die by millions"

That's an interesting approach - surpassing the first stage of glycolysis
and feed the cells directely with Acetyl-Coa (fat breakdown).
Beeing in ketosis could manage this.
But only for 50% of the brain's energy, as I read.
I think this would require mfor the body to keep up it's glucose level at
exactely the level as before.
Or has anybody of the follows beeing in ketosis experienced a significant
drop of the glucose levels? Below 70-80?

I would expect only a small drop and only if the levels before were a
little high.

I have an idea towards the previous outline (glycolysis).
Glycolysis is only possible in the presence of thiamine (vit b1).
Thiamin supply is tending to be low in industrial society.
But one cannot abolish glycolysis, or the brain will die.
(thats' beri beri)
Now is looks like brain cells have mechanisms to get priority for acces to
thiamine (it's the last that dies w/o b1).
One part of that mechanism is *insulin resistance*.
Because insulin resistance is what makes the *other* body cells to keep
away from glucose -- leaving it for the brain.

I hypothize - brain cancer may be a promoted by low thiamin levels.
Brain cancer cells manage to get more thiamin, therefore havin priority in
growth and energy usage compared to other brain cells.
Just an idea your posting inspired me to, Bruce.
I like the insulin resistance followup idea:
it's  not a bug - it's a feature :-)

get thiamine.

regards

Amadeus S.