From:
Michelle Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:17:53 -0600
I'm not 100% strict, but here are some of my staples: Main meals: Paleo
hamburger helper (brown ground beef, keep drippings in pan to sauté whatever
vegetables, onions, fresh herbs & leafy greens you have around, put together
and heat-- quick, easy, and many variations depending upon spices, herbs and
veggies used); ribs (I use non-paleo marinades and sauces), hamburgers not
with buns, salad with all sorts of different meats--chicken salad (I use
regular non-paleo mayo), tuna salad, shredded beef, grilled chicken; all the
aforementioned meats on their own plus whatever cut of meat looks appealing
to me; slow cooked beef and pork roasts with carrots, celery, & zucchini;
rotisserie chicken; seafood; freshwater fish.
Snacks: Hard-boiled eggs; nuts (especially walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, and
almonds); fruit (lots of choices here); berries (both fresh and frozen);
homemade beef jerky
Breakfast: Eggs, bacon and sausage (not paleo unless I can find nitrate
free)
I am not extremely strict with my preparation methods.  I use a lot of
butter, and sometimes I'll use non-paleo sauces, and use sea salt sometimes.
I don't have a cholesterol issue (except maybe being TOO low) so I don't
worry much about the butter. My negative reactions mainly happen when I eat
food with significant starches (bread especially, corn, and to a lesser
extent rice).  I'd love to eventually move to more and more of a model paleo
diet, but I find it easier to not worry about the little things.

Tips: When eating out, order main dishes with double sides of veggies
instead of the starch.  Even if you don't eat the veggies, it will prevent
you from eating potatoes, rice, or bread.  Another good choice are salads
with meat in them.  I don't have much of a taste for salads in winter, but
they are scrumptious in the spring, summer, and fall.
Hard-boil eggs ahead of time for a quick easy snack to curb cravings.
When craving sweet, eat fruit rather than bread, candy or cake.  But try not
to eat too much fruit at first so you can kill the sweet tooth.

I've been doing the diet off and on for the past several months, and haven't
changed it too much, though I'm getting better at having snack food handy.