NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:10:25 -0500
You don't say what your symptoms are. That could clarify this discussion.

I agree that the lactose is not a likely culprit unless eaten. But
the proteins can be powerful triggers for allergic symptoms.  I'd go
with the dairy protein angle.

And let's not forget - skin absorption is not the only route. There's
also inhalation.

Some people - myself included - are both lactose intolerant (with
gastrointestinal symptoms) and dairy allergic (with respiratory
symptoms, lip/airway swelling, and skin symptoms such as hives and
rashes). Gastrointestinal symptoms are also possible when an allergic
reaction is present, but these would likely be different from the
symptoms of lactose intolerance.

If your symptoms were allergic symptoms, you might want to take some
precautions when mixing powdered milk-based formula, such as wearing
plastic gloves and also wearing a good, tight-fitting mask that
prevents inhalation of the powder (not just a flimsy, loose-fitting
mask, meant mostly to stop sneezes from travelling too far).

I became more symptomatic to dairy protein exposure over time. It's
possible that your relatively mild symptoms could worsen with each
exposure, leading to respiratory distress (severe asthma, throat
swelling, etc.). You might also want to get tested for dairy allergy
and talk to your doctor about what you should do if you were exposed
to the powder and were to have a worse reaction.

Don't take this too lightly. It's not likely psychosomatic.

Mark