ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 14:08:07 -0500
Oh Matt,
Being a parent, especially of a teenager is so difficult. The
relationship between you and them is evolving and, sometimes it’s hard to
know the right way to respond.
When they were little, and defiant, you could just remove them from a
situation or give them a time out, or even a distraction in some cases
but as they grow, you want to grow away from that kind of black and white
type of thinking and be able to talk things through so that, hopefully,
the relationship will eventually evolve into an adult relationship and
move away from a parent child one. That’s the stage that we are in know.
In fact, our oldest son just turned 18 last Wendesday and Greg and I
still find ourselves amazed that, legally at least, there are now three
adults in the house. By law, that changes things even if it doesn’t mean
much in our relationship. We gave him luggage for his birthday as a sign
to all of us that we are all moving on.
Now, with Matt and Chris, you have to wait until they are ready to talk
or what you have to say will just end up being a lecture which is a real
turn off. Well, now I guess I’m rambling. Unfortunately, parenting is the
one Merry Go Round that you just can’t get off.
Kathy

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!