ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:37:42 -0700
     Every kid could be accused of role playing but it isn't the
same thing as what we often find kids playing today.  I well
remember talking my mom into buying red die, boiling it on the gas
stove, and dying a white bath towel so I could play super man.  I
knew super man had a red cape but we only had a black and white
TV.  go figure.  I used to run around the yard playing as if I
were super man.  No big deal there.  Now, if I would have climbed
to the peak of the roof and leaped off head first, my parents
would have had a problem.  The concern that I have with the more
sophisticated role playing games we have seen over the last ten to
fifteen years is the nature of the game itself.  Everybody
remembers how popular dungeons and dragons was when computers
became more commonplace.  On my Bulletin Board System, BBS, back
in those earlier days, I refused to put such games on my system
for download.  Now, of course, we have role playing games all over
the internet.  Harry Potter, regardless of what some may think, is
demonic at its root and teaches children that magic and
witchcraft, if used for good things, is ok.  Later, I will post
some characteristics of the Enemy which I always look for when
trying to determine if something is demonically based or not.
Look up role playing in the dictionary.  It's pretty straight
forward.  The bottom line is acting out the character of another.
I remember the first big lesson I learned role playing.  I was
about 27 years old.  I was traveling and preaching.  Sandy was
traveling with me and our first child, a boy, was about a year or
so old.  We stayed with an older retired couple during the week
of the revival meetings I was speaking in at their church.  Man,
was it fun.  These people were great to be around.  The husband
was about 66 years old and had only been born again for about four
months.  He had become, in that short period of time, a great man
of faith.  He told me story after story of things he prayed for
and stood on God's Word for and saw his prayers answered.  You
know what?  I wanted to be a man of faith just like he was.  I
wanted to see God come through for me.  I had headaches back then
that were sometimes migraine quality.  I was so encouraged by this
man's testimony, I wanted to be just like him.  I took my pills,
over the counter pills at that time, and dump that whole bottle
down their toilet.  Two days later, I was preaching in their
church with the worst headache I could ever recall having up to
that time.  I could barely stand behind the pulpit and speak.  I
had to lean on it at times because my head ached so severely, I
wasn't certain I could stand.  Surely God will bless me for
Preaching His Word?  He did but the headache didn't go away.
Finally, on the way home, I asked them to stop at a store and we
got some over the counter medication.  As we sat and talked at
their kitchen table that night, my headache, after taking the
medication, finally began going away.  I was so disappointed in
myself for failing.  Years later I asked the Lord why He didn't
honor His Word when I was trying to exercise my faith.  It was
simple.  The Holy Spirit said, It wasn't your faith you were
exercising.  You were trying to live off the faith of someone
else.  It was true and I knew it.  I had role played right into
the devil's trap of manipulation.  I didn't want to be like Jesus;
I wanted to be like that man whom I admired so much.  God will not
honor that type of faith.  Role playing opens the door for the
Enemy to take advantage.  The younger a person is, the worse it
can be because the Enemy can plant suggestions, which are seeds of
lies, into their thinking which will grow and deceive them later.
Once a seed of the Enemy is planted, he can save that planted seed
of deception for as long as he wants.  He then can bring it out at
the perfect moment in a Christian's life and attempt to destroy
them.  My grandson had been given just such a set of magic cards
for basic role playing which depicted, what seemed on the surface,
the most trivial of things.  We got him other cards which were, in
fact, harmless and explained why we didn't allow those types of
cards in the house.  It is easy, unfortunately, for the Christian
pendulum to swing way too far to the other side on these matters
so it is far easier for me to offer free advice.  Which, by the
way, is exactly what this is.  I am sure there is tons of free
advice on the internet from a Christian prospective on role
playing, too.

Phil.
I Flew Kites With Jesus
www.SafePlaceFellowship.com