ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:02:22 -0600
Kathy,

I  am glad you guys are taking a tough approach, and to be honest, right or
wrong, had this been in my house, I'm not sure I'd have called the police,
but rather found myself disciplining the boy in like manner in which he
disrespected me and my wife as parents. No I wouldn't have beat in his
door, but likely strong armed him at the moment to subdue him and talk to
him at the same time to calm him down. And of course I wasn't there and
things are different that any written detail could show, but I got the
impression of a wild teenager beating in a door of parents room while they
were inside not knowing what to expect next. I'm concerned I guess with the
abrupt change from smashing in a door and making comments of "murder?" and
then to hugs? I certainly do not in any way mean to disregard God's calming
of a situation, but I can't help wonder the motive of psychi turnaround of
Chris during that time. I would have a real time with a teenager damaging
property, to him it shows control, disrespect succeeded and etc.  Have you
thought of making him work to earn money to buy materials to repair the
damages? If he knows enough to build or attempt to build a structure in the
back yard, he has skills enough to repair damages he has caused, and if not
he'll learn real quickly. Perhaps th etime spent repairing will cause some
reflection of his behavior and realize he need go good for his
responsibility. I know there are many things that contribute to such
situations, the size of your home, busyness and etc.  and again it is one
thing to detail a situation compared to being there. I'm frankly concerned
for future events getting out of hand and will pray in that regard. Please
take my comments as not a judging, but jsut putting myself in your shoes
and if anything rings true, fine if not that is fine too. Each family is
different.

Brad