ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Schwery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:06:09 -0600
Helen makes good points, here.  I believe Paul's judgment of people on this
list is harsh and cruel.  I have tried to give him the benefit of the
doubt, seeing he is not married and has not had children.  Thus, e I
believe that there is a lot he doesn't understand about the marriage
relationship or raising children.  Since he talked about Phil in his post,
I hope he sent Phil a copy.  Phil has tried drub treatment programs for his
daughter, if I remember correctly.  Chris has said that he has been seeing
professional counsellors, and I would think that if those counsellors felt
that Chris needed to be in a residential program, those counsellors would
have told that to him and his parents.  I am not saying that everything we
have done on this list is right, but I still feel that Paul's judgment of
us is harsh and self-righteous.

At 07:55 AM 1/14/04 -0500, you wrote:
>Paul, quoting you:
>
>So Phil gets his hammer and John gets his saw.  Pat gets her loving sewing
>kit and Helen gets her aspirin and all the rest contribute to your
>healing.  They start hacking
>and whacking away at you until you are a bleeding, painful mess and in your
>pain you go off confused and dazed and hurt others searching for help you
>were never allowed to be given because of your helpful friends  -end quote-
>
>This comment is bad enough, and as about as un-Christian as anything I have
>ever read.
>
>And quoting you again:
>
>I can no longer be a part of a group whose self-pride and
>self-righteousness is so strong that they will allow you to continue to
>come to them so they can feel like good Christians.  -end quote-
>
>But this judgmental accusation aimed at everyone but yourself, is the
>worst, and
>as long as you feel free to publicly chastise us, I feel it is our
>God-given right, and duty, to express our own reactions to your very
>uncalled-for rebuke.
>
>As you said, poor dear Chris will probably not even understand what you are
>saying.
>Then why did you address this to him?  Why did you not address it to the list?
>The message is clear, dear brother, and contains no spirit of God's Love,
>either to us or to Chris.
>
>Quoting you again:
>
>I will not post publicly for a while to ensure that it is not my own
>self-pride saying all of this.  -end quote-
>
>It is unfortunate that you did not ensure yourself of that before posting.
>
>Helen
>

>At 02:16 AM 1/14/04 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hey, Chris
> >
> >Imagine that you had a bad toothache and needed to see a dentist.  But your
> >loving friends are concerned the dentist will hurt you.  So Phil gets his
> >hammer and John gets his saw.  Pat gets her loving sewing kit and Helen gets
> >her aspirin and all the rest contribute to your healing.  They start hacking
> >and whacking away at you until you are a bleeding, painful mess and in your
> >pain you go off confused and dazed and hurt others searching for help you
> >were never allowed to be given because of your helpful friends.  In
> >Christian love, of course.  But what's wrong?  The tools are all good.  Of
> >course they are.  They've seen Matt build bird houses with them!  They know
> >they work.  The problem is, Chris, they don't know how to use those very
> >useful, very helpful tools to help you. Not in your case.
> >
> >I don't know if you even understand what I'm saying.  Apparently they don't.
> >When you were first on the list I begged them to stop feeding into your
> >problems because they were doing you more harm than good.  They just are not
> >qualified to give you the help you need.  And with every well intentioned
> >note they just set you off spinning again in ways that could harm you more
> [...]

John

   Disneyland: A people trap operated by a mouse