ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
April Reisinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
April Reisinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:34:55 -0500
The following was just received by me from my college roomie and my long
time dear friend and Sister By Choice.  Although it is quite long, I'd ask
you to read it completely and keep all mentioned in your prayers.  Sean
Justice is Carolyn's youngest son.  Ruth Rice is Carolyn's baby sister.  I
remember meeting Ruthie for the first time when this wonderful, loving
Bonnel family took me in as their own and showed me the love of God through
a warm, caring, loving family.  This real-life story reminds me of the
updates Carolyn sent me regarding her son Tom who suffered a
life-threatening medical reaction just a few years ago.  Please lift this
entire family in prayer.

Here is the e-mail--sorry for the long preamble:]
Stephen Rice, the son of my younger sister, Ruth -- has been badly injured.
Here's the info from my sis, so that you can join us in praying for him.
Thanks
so much!

----

Dear friends, I am adding to this update by date lead-ins. Since new
friends' emails have been added, please jump to the current date for
the latest info. Always, thanks for your prayers! Ruth Rice (mom)

Dear Family and Friends,

Re: Stephen Rice

02//27/2003:  The last few hours have been such a whirlwind, which I
will attempt to recap for everyone's benefit. I will provide updates as
I receive more information. Baghdad time is nine hours forward of CST.
Germany is seven hours forward of CST. We covet your prayers for his
healing.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I will not have a
snail-mail address for him for probably about a week. If you would like
to send an email to Steve, his address is
But I
have no idea when he will be able to access a computer again.

2LT Stephen Rice, member of the 233rd Military Police Unit, and platoon
leader of the 3rd Platoon, received orders for deployment to Operation
Enduring Freedom in March 2003. Initially, he went to Kuwait, led
missions in the desert then ended up in Baghdad where he served until
December 27, 2003. While in Baghdad, he was in charge of taking command
of each police station, recruiting and training Iraqi police officers
in appropriate policing disciplines.

12/27/2003: At 7:40 a.m. (Baghdad time), December 27, 2003, he was
responding to an IED (improvised explosive device) attack when he fell
victim to a second IED. The explosion occurred as he left his vehicle
to assist a fallen soldier from the first IED attack. Steve took the
brunt of the explosion to his left side. His left ankle is shattered
and he has extensive shrapnel injuries. They will call in a few hours
with an update.

12/27/2003: At 1:00 a.m.(CST), we received a call from an officer with
the Casualty Department telling of the explosion and Steve's injuries.
He was scheduled to have emergency surgery in Baghdad within hours to
save his left big toe. Due to the extensive shrapnel damage to the toe,
delay would have resulted in a loss of the toe. The officer said that
he will be moved from Baghdad to Germany then on to Walter Reed
Hospital in Washington, DC.

12/27/2003: At 9:15 a.m.(CST), Steve called to let us know that he was
'okay.' He was out of surgery and feeling the effects of morphine.
12/27/2003: We received a call from the Casualty Department in
Washington DC. Steve is listed in serious, but stable condition. In
addition to his ankle wounds, his left leg is broken; he has extensive
shrapnel (bilateral) injuries ranging, literally, from toe to head; he
has multiple lacerations, including facial injuries.

12/29/2003: Within the past 24 hours, Steve was Medvaced to a military
hospital, Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany. (This is the
largest American hospital outside the US.) The web-site for LRMC is
http://www.landstuhl.healthcare.hqusareur.army.mil/
</horde/services/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.landstuhl.healthcare.hqusareur.
army.mil%2F>

12/29/2003: He spoke with both parents today. Steve received two pints
of blood and is scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning. He expects to
be in Landstuhl for a week. At this time, he is not stable enough to
transport to Walter Reed Hospital. (Note that he doesn't know where he
is at this time due to the effects of the morphine.) Since Steve is
left-handed, we have been quite concerned about damage to his left
hand. He responded that 'it will be fine.'

Additional prayer requests: My nephew, Shaun Justice, and his brand-new
fiance, Melissa Brockmeyer, are both being deployed to the foreign
theatre within the month. Also, a close friend/classmate/fellow
officer of Steve's, Jim Judge, just found out that he is to be
re-deployed immediately.

12/30/2003: While at OBC (officer training) at Ft Leonard Wood, MO,
Steve met a fellow officer, Joy Hess. Upon her deployment, Joy has been
stationed in Germany. She has been able to spend the entire day at the
hospital to be with Steve as he underwent surgery today.  Following is
information provided by Joy.

11:00 a.m. (Germany)-Joy: I'm at the hospital right now. They just took
him into surgery and told me they'd be done in about three hours. He
looks ok- he is really frightened that they are going to tell him that
they have to amputate his foot, but I didn't get that from the MD at
all. His left hand is perfectly fine, no injuries at all, so writing
will be no problem. The main shrapnel is in both his legs, but mostly
left. The right side of his face is covered in it, but it isn't bad. It
is very tiny pieces. I think they'll work on that back at Walter Reed.
Anyway, I'll be sticking here most of the day before I drive back to
Stuttgart, so I'll give you another update.

4:15 p.m. (Germany)-Joy: Still no new news. I'm still here- he was
supposed to be done by 2:00, and it is almost 4:30. No one knows (or
just won't tell me) anything. I did discover a Burger King and Subway,
so he can eat when he gets down from surgery. Also, there are two
patient computers up in his wing, so that once he is in a wheelchair
he'll be able to use.

6:55 p.m. (Germany)-Joy: I'm home now. I live about 2 hours from the
hospital. I spent the whole day there. Steve is ok, but mad at the
staff because they won't feed him! Typical him. He had surgery this
morning on his left leg. The shrapnel went through both his knee and
ankle. They are going to wait to do the reconstruction, probably until
he gets to Walter Reed. However, when I went this morning, they took
his vitals, and his temp was 102.5. Not good. During surgery it was up
to 103. They have him on antibiotics, but there is infection in his leg
wounds- probably from the fact that after his leg was tended to in
Baghdad, nothing was done again until today... Army for you. Anyway,
the infection has spread to his lungs. I left him around 1830- they
gave him a morphine drip and he was falling asleep. He is on oxygen and
in the ICU currently. I had to come home because I'm dog sitting- had
to feed and let them out. I am going back tomorrow and plan to stay in
K-town (where the hospital is) for a few days, at least until he is out
of the ICU. He won't be speaking to anyone for a few more days- he
isn't able to very well. However, when he is in a wheel chair and off
of the oxygen, he can email- they have facilities there. The nurse told
me that he will be there for at least a week, making sure the infection
is stable before they transport him. I'll keep you up to date!
Joy

12/30/2003: What wonderful updates from Joy! I am so grateful to her. At
9:30 a.m. (CST) I spoke with Steve's surgeon and with Steve. He was in
ICU and just out of surgery. The doctor told me that the reason that he
is being kept at Landstuhl is because of the infection caused by the
shrapnel, which has moved into his lungs. He is on strong IV antibiotic
therapy and oxygen. Once the infection is resolved, they will transport
him to Walter Reed to begin reconstruction of his orthopedic situation.
His doctor described his impact injuries below the knee as severe. When
I spoke with Stephen, he was crabby and thirsty. (After reading Joy's
information, I further understand the crabbiness... food!) Stephen has
never had surgery before, so hasn't had to live on ice chips!

12/30/2003: 2:30 p.m. (CST) Department of Casualty, Washington DC called
to update us on Steve's status. "Out of surgery. Doing fine. Preparing
to transport to Walter Reed."  The information we
have from his doctor and Joy is much more definitive, but I thanked her
for the update. Sgt Moore is a very kind and caring woman and
understands that a mother needs more information; but she only has a
brief report to read to the family.

12/31/2003:  (almost midnight CST) I've had a horrid 'Stephen' day. I'm
much better now. I didn't do
my daily update yet, and now I know why. If I had done it earlier, I
would have been unnecessarily negative. It really helps to sound out
fears with others to get a proper perspective.

I talked to Steve around 7 pm (Baghdad time). It was frightening. His
breathing is so labored and full of pain. He has a fighter's positive
spirit, but today he told me that he just didn't care anymore and
didn't see the point of trying. After disconnecting, I immediately
called back and was able to speak with his doctor. I told him what
Steve had said and voiced my concerns; he said that he will note it and
watch him. They had to take him back to surgery today to work on the leg
wound, removing more shrapnel and debriding the wound. Steve's body
will not be rid of the infection for weeks! It will be 'longer than a
week or more' before he can be moved; he still isn't stable enough to
move without endangering his life.

This evening I called back to speak with his nurse to see how his night
was going. The nurse told me that he was receiving his second unit of
packed red blood cells in preparation for more surgery,
possibly tomorrow. They expect to put him on a vent within the next 48
hours. He said that Steve's body is laboring too hard to breathe and
needs to be able to rest.  A dear friend called this evening and asked
me to come over, so I went to her house for a couple of hours. Another
friend, a nurse (Julie), was there amongst others. As I told my sad
tale, I was given enough information that I am reassured that he is not
in imminent danger.  Julie said (what his nurse had been trying to tell
me) that his body is
tired. It is tired from fighting...fighting the infection, fighting to
breathe, fighting Steve's mind racing with fear and frustration.
Putting Steve on a vent under sedation will give his body much needed
rest. It will allow his adrenaline and blood to focus on healing
instead of fighting. Initially the vent is a tube placed down his
windpipe. If the vent needs to remain longer than two weeks, then a
trach is cut into his throat.

So, I do feel better. Prayer is the most important medicine, and I do
covet your prayers. Every day I am introduced to someone without whom I
cannot imagine my life.  Not only is Joy Hess in Germany and is 'there'
for Steve, but others are coming into view each day.  In going through
Steve's paperwork at home, I came across a phone number of a dear
friend, Mark Miller, from Steve's college days.  I left a message for
Mark with his mother, Carol.  Mark just happens to be home on a brief
leave from his Army duties and will be returning to his base on Sunday,
January 4.  Guess where!  Germany.  Mark will be within two hours of
Landstuhl and will be able to see Steve within days.  Mark also knows
of another mutual friend based in Germany, Nick Cardene; after Mark
notified Nick of the situation, he has been able to visit Steve.
Another anecdote that I must share...on Saturday night, December 27, the
day of the explosion.  A holiday gathering of friends was held at a
local restaurant, Midtown; this was a long-awaited get-together to eat,
visit and sing along with Mark Phelps as he played the piano.  I was
unable to attend since the viscious flu-bug of 2003 had settled into my
chest on Christmas night.  I understand that the hot topic of the
evening was Stephen and the horrific tragedy that had occurred only a
few hours before.  Such an outpouring of love took place that night as
friends held each other in sorrow and comforted one another.  Mark
spoke eloquently of Stephen and his heart's desire to defend the
defenseless, resulting in his injuries.  An impromptu 'passing of the
hat' to help with my expenses in a  future visit to Stephen was passed,
not only to friends, but around the restaurant.  Such generosity of
spirit, friendship and financial support!  Many stories of kindness,
friendship, prayer and support are enveloping us.  Although I shouldn't
 be, I am continually amazed by God's goodness...introducing us to
wonderful people and putting us in the right paths at the right times.

Sincerely,

April Reisinger, Warren, Ohio on behalf of Ruth Rice, Steve, Mike and
Carolyn Justice and Mom Bonnell