ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 06:39:44 -0600
Ok, here goes the parent of a 14 and almost 15 month old trying to give
advice on someone's 17 year old.
I studied christian based parenting teachings, does that count for anything?
hahahahh
When we are in our late teens, it is a strange place.  You have a lot of
knowledge at that age, and you feel equal to an adult but in truth it takes
at the very least 5 or 10 more years before you really are going to feel
like a copetent adult.
I'm 32 and I am just now starting to feel this way and still I stumble.
However, when you are a teenager, you feel like you are just about ready to
strike out on your own.  You don't realize sometimes that you are still
relying on the fact that your parents are still their to catch you or to
worrey over you.
You have to take into account that this is probably about where your
daughter is and her emotions are real to her.
The truth is, she is the child of a disabled parent or parents and she is,
in a way, more fortunate than her parents because she has certain abilities
which her parents do not have.
True, it is an inconvenience for her to have to go out of her way to drive
you but you would not ask this of her if you could help it.  You are not
trying to inconvenience her and what you are doing is for the well being of
your household, which she is still a part of and will be a branch of even
when she moves out on her own.
I doubt she is able to take all this in just this way at her age and you
have to be the parent and consider that she is not ready for this yet and so
she is responding immaturely.  You must forgive this immaturity and either
wait for her to grow more and realize things or try and help her to
understand and be ready for the fact that she probably will not.
What you are asking of her, though, is ok and although it is a strain on
your relationship now, she will understand the importance of what she did
for the family later.
From what I understand, parenting isn't always an instantainious feedback
from what we have put forth sort of situation.
I hope that made since.
Meaning, you do the right thing and wait for god to reward you with a
posative result and even, if you do not get the result you think you should,
it is god's will and you may understand it later.

Matt whose face looks much like a teneeshoe