ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:10:18 -0500
I have a question, or rather a situation I would like advice about.
As y'all know Christa has been driving me to the hospital, to the
grocery store, bank and to pay bills and run errands since her dad has
been in the hospital.
She  chats on the computer with friends, and has met some new ones.  One
lives not far from here.  He, yes I said He wants to meet Christa, he is
17 and she is 15.  He is about ten miles from here, about the same
distance as the hospital. So, Christa wanted todrive to his house and
meet him.  His parents are home she says and his brothers.  I said No,
no way could she go and meet some strange boy as far as I knew.  That if
she were ever to meet him, he would have to come here, or we would have
to go with her to a mall or public place.
She was angry with me, and said I only let her drive if it was something
I wanted to do.
Today she didn't want to stay at the hospital so she left me there and
came back a couple of hours later.  We are abouteight miles from the
hospital.  So I said that she and I would just stay together, and she
wouldn't have to drive by herself anymore.

I realize that being a parent isn't always popular, and so since I was
not letting her do as she pleased, she was angry.  I guess I just resent
her implication of "since I have been doing this for you, you
should....."
Not actually spoken, but the feeling was there.
I called Ben and he told her the same thing.
So, she hasn't spoken to me all night, well, this too shall pass,
but my question is how do you guys handle having a teen driver take you
places?  Do you pay them as though it were a job, or is it just
something they do occasionally.
Just curious as to what y'all think of this.

Christa is usually pretty agreeable, but sometimes she can be down right
difficult, but that comes I think with being a teenager.

Thanks for your ideas!

Rhonda