BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Trillions of glass block arches.
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 07:15:54 -0400
Becker’s Booger
by Judy Cabito

Lulu’s grandson, Becker, came knocking at Coco’s door. Said Lulu sent
him for a cup of sugar. A giant booger hung from Becker’s nose.

Coco got a tissue.

He said, “Wha’s that fer? I came for sugar. You going deaf Miss Coco?”

Coco hesitated, drew her fingertips to her mouth and thought for several
seconds before saying, “I’ll get the sugar.”

“Ms. Coco,” Becker said. “I got here a cup for the sugar. Open the
screen and let me in.”

Coco seemed reluctant as she opened it just enough to reach outside and
grab the cup. Becker pulled it back and said, “Ain’t you going to invite
me in, Miss Coco?”

“Um, um,” Coco replied. “I, I…ain’t properly dressed Becker. You give me
the cup and I’ll fill it. You just wait here.”

“I ain’t trying to be stubborn here Miss Coco but Gramma Lu told me
specifically I was to put the sugar in the cup and bring it home pronto
and you’ve been holding me back here. Just let me come in to git the
sugar.”

Coco swayed back and forward, put her hand on her forehead and gave it
her best but for the life of her she couldn’t find another excuse or way
to tell Becker about the booger. After all, she was a lady and ladies
don’t go around correcting other people’s children mostly about boogers.
She reluctantly opened the screen and let Becker in. She got the sugar
bowl down from above the refrigerator and opened it up.

“Here give me the cup, Becker.”

“Miss Coco?” he said with a whine. “I gotta be doing it myself, Gramma
Lu said.”

Coco decided it was time she stood up to this situation, “Becker, I’ve
got something I got to say to you about this situation.”

“Yes, Miss Coco?” Becker leaned in close.

“There are things Becker that a lady like me finds difficult to discuss.
You know, like little babies soiling their diapers, we just say politely
we got to change the baby. Now when you think about that, it sounds like
we are going to get us a new baby out of the cupboard. You know and I
know what we’re talking about, but in polite terms we sort of evade the
subject.”

“That’s right interesting Miss Coco but what does it have to do with…”
he hesitated, “us? Seems asking for sugar is polite. Aint it?”

“Yes,” Miss Coco sighed and tried once more. “You’ve heard of the
saying, ‘It’s snowing down south?’ Right?”

“Yes, Miss Coco.”

“Now what does it mean?”

Becker thought a second or two, “Guess it means it’s snowing down south
and we ain’t be going to Florida on vacation. Am I right, Miss Coco?”

Miss Coco felt a bit faint and couldn’t pursue this any longer. “It’s
about the tissue, Becker. I gave you a tissue. For God’s Sakes, Becker,
catch a clue.”

Becker grabbed the tissue and blew his nose.

“Golly gee, Miss Coco, why didn’t you just say so? I’ll be gitting the
sugar now and leaving.”

After Becker left Coco went to put the lid back on the sugar bowl and
there inside was Becker’s booger. She replaced the lid and went out back
and opened the garbage lid and tossed the works.

XXX