BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:02:50 -0400

>> Ah, the geo-centric view of the world appears once again.   If the
>> Big Apple is asleep, all the world must be asleep.
>
> in dfi, all through the breathless coverage of the wonderful, pulling
> together New Yorkers patting each other on the back as they suffered
> through one of  the great disasters of all time I thought of ... the
> U. S. soldiers and the citizens of Iraq.  How they must laugh at our
> chicken littling over a 1 day power outage - if they have any sense of
> humor left.        christopher

Yeah... along the way I reflected on this as well. If you have not read
The Great War, by Paul Fussell, then I STRONGLY suggest that you do. In
reading about the Golden Virgin of the Basilica at Albert, which was a
leaning over statue on the top of a tower that attracted a great deal of
mythologizing from all sides,  I am struck by our placing importance on
the topling of the statue of Saddam Hussein as seen on CNN.  History
that parallels our own, simply by how easily it is all forgotten... and
I mean the Great War where at Somme 60,0000 died in one day, make it
evident how quickly our own contemporary situation is trivial and will
as quickly be forgotten. Pretty incredible life in the trenches.

In entertaining a histo presto guy from Cyprus we were sitting on the
roof of the Cable Building, Houston & Broadway, eating our lunch and he
asked me when they turn the electric off. Seems in Cyprus they turn the
electric off every night.

][<en