AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
PETER W VAKUNTA <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:27:32 -0500
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

I have the conviction that PRESIDENT MBEKI represents the new crop of
leaders that Africa is praying for.ZUMA should bury his shameful head
in mud for colluding with spineless foreigners to exploit his won
country. I always think of the flip slide of things: Could the French
guy that lured the SA vice-president into this filth have colluded with
him to divest FRANCE? OF COURSE NO!
When shall we, AFRICANS, start thinking?

Mbeki calls for 'plot' inquiry

Thabo Mbeki (left) and Jacob Zuma were formerly allies
South African President Thabo Mbeki has called for a commission of
inquiry into claims that he is attempting to discredit his former
deputy Jacob Zuma.
In a letter published on the website of the ruling African National
Congress (ANC), Mr Mbeki denied rumours that he fired Mr Zuma in order
to sideline him.

Mr Mbeki dismissed the popular Mr Zuma in June following allegations of
corruption relating to an arms deal.

The South African President said the rumours were damaging the ANC.

Answer questions

In the letter, Mr Mbeki tackled criticism over Mr Zuma's dismissal from
within the ANC head on.

"I am informed that some within our broad movement... are convinced
that as president of the ANC and the republic, I occupy the leading
position in the political onslaught against Deputy President Zuma," Mr
Mbeki wrote.

"I strongly suggest that the alliance should immediately constitute a
commission of inquiry to establish the truth or otherwise of the
allegation that members of the ANC... have been and are involved in a
conspiracy targeted at marginalising or destroying [Mr Zuma]."

Mr Mbeki also said he would be prepared to appear before the commission
and answer its questions.

'Urgent task'

"I am convinced that we have a collective and urgent task to expose and
confront any and all factions that may exist within the ANC and the
rest of the democratic movement, which might be engaged in a
conspiracy 'to discredit Comrade Zuma'," he wrote.

"Should such a conspiracy exist, we must unite the entirety of our
movement in a determined offensive to defeat it."

Mr Zuma faces corruption charges in relation to a multi-billion dollar
deal with a French arms manufacturer. His trial is due to begin in
October. He denies the charges against him.

He remains deputy president of the ANC and had been tipped to succeed
Mr Mbeki as South African president.

 E-mail this to a friend   Printable version

LINKS TO MORE AFRICA STORIES

SelectEx-rebel becomes Burundi leaderMbeki calls for 'plot'
inquiryChildren die in Paris hostel fireNigeria set for crude oil
auctionZimbabwe bishop trial collapsesIvory Coast rebels reject
pollsEritrea church leader 'dismissed'US star launches Darfur
campaignBekele sets 10,000m world recordSummit pushes African fish
planTB emergency declared in AfricaUS predicts Zarqawi Africa
flightVigil for deported Malawi familyEritrea suspends US aid effortsEU
criticises Ethiopian electionsShooting in Namibia fraud trialANC
alliance condemns Zuma raidMali MPs push for insecticide banZimbabwe's
unwanted 'foreigners'South Africa's poor losing patienceShould we drink
home brews?Why I love AfricaSend us your pictures of AfricaProgrammes
and schedules

  SEE ALSO:
ANC alliance condemns Zuma raid
25 Aug 05 |  Africa
Elite SA unit raids Zuma's home
18 Aug 05 |  Africa
SA's Zuma welcomes day in court
21 Jun 05 |  Africa
Press backs Zuma sacking
15 Jun 05 |  Africa
What next for South African politics?
14 Jun 05 |  Have Your Say
Zuma: Mbeki's toughest decision
14 Jun 05 |  Africa
Zuma: Bad days for Mr Nice Guy
07 Jun 05 |  Africa

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
South African government
ANC
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

TOP AFRICA STORIES NOW
Ex-rebel becomes Burundi leader

Mbeki calls for 'plot' inquiry

Africans killed in Paris blaze

Nigeria set for crude oil auction

 | What is RSS?

News Alerts E-mail services Mobiles/PDAs Headlines for your site
BBC Copyright Notice Back to top Help Privacy and Cookies Policy News
sources About the BBC Contact us