AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
PETER W VAKUNTA <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:17:28 -0500
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Ex-rebel becomes Burundi leader

President Pierre Nkurunziza held aloft the stick which symbolises
leadership in Burundi
Former Burundi rebel leader Pierre Nkurunziza has been sworn in as
president, marking the end of 12 years of war which has left 300,000
dead.
He becomes the first leader chosen through democratic means since 1993.

It marks the end of a five-year peace process designed to end the
conflict between Hutu rebels and an army led by the Tutsi minority.

Power will be shared under the peace deal with Tutsis guaranteed a
share of power and government jobs.

"I pledge to fight all ideology and acts of genocide and exclusion, to
promote and defend the individual and collective rights and freedoms of
persons and of the citizen," he said in the Kirundi language in a
ceremony attended by several African heads of state.

In a short speech, he promised that primary school education would be
free when the new term starts in September.

'Battle won'

Outgoing President Domitien Ndayizeye said this was "the most important
day in Burundi's history."

His Frodebu party was defeated in local and parliamentary elections
earlier this year by Mr Nkurunziza's Forces for the Defence of
Democracy, before MPs elected the ex-rebel as president last week.

 PIERRE NKURUNZIZA
Heads the FDD former rebels
Former school teacher
Born-again Christian
Sentenced to death in 1998
Amnesty under peace deal

Full profile
Have Your Say
"We have won the battle," said Mr Ndayizeye.

The BBC's Rob Walker in the capital, Bujumbura, says Mr Nkurunziza's
journey to power has been an extraordinary one - from school teacher to
rebel leader and now finally, to president.

He has said his first task will be to try and engage the last remaining
rebel group, the National Liberation Forces (FNL) in peace talks.

"I hope he will bring back peace quickly and help us overcome poverty,"
said Fatuma Siniremera, a 56-year-old Nkurunziza supporter during a
rally on Thursday.

But some Tutsis remain fearful of Hutu rule.

"I am very pessimistic about whether he will change anything,"
Dieudonne Hakizimana said.

Huge expectations

The power-sharing deal agreed and now finally implemented is seen as a
crucial success for the continent and one which could have wider
benefits for the volatile Great Lakes region.

Our correspondent says Mr Nkurunziza takes control of a country which
is virtually destroyed but which has huge expectations of his ruling
party.

Burundians hope this marks a new era of peace
He says the new leader will need all the support he can get from the
international community if he is now to deliver on the much-needed
dividends of peace.

But the challenge ahead is not just physical.

Deep divisions from the civil war remain and many believe those will
only be healed if the new government deals with the issue of justice
for crimes committed by all sides.

On the eve of his inauguration, six mainly Tutsi parties said Mr
Nkurunziza should be brought to justice for crimes they say he
committed as a guerrilla leader during the civil war.

A Burundian court passed the death sentence on Mr Nkurunziza in 1998,
but he was granted an amnesty in the peace accords.

No elected government has ever served out its term in Burundi.

 E-mail this to a friend   Printable version

LINKS TO MORE AFRICA STORIES

SelectEx-rebel becomes Burundi leaderMbeki calls for 'plot'
inquiryChildren die in Paris hostel fireNigeria set for crude oil
auctionZimbabwe bishop trial collapsesIvory Coast rebels reject
pollsEritrea church leader 'dismissed'US star launches Darfur
campaignBekele sets 10,000m world recordSummit pushes African fish
planTB emergency declared in AfricaUS predicts Zarqawi Africa
flightVigil for deported Malawi familyEritrea suspends US aid effortsEU
criticises Ethiopian electionsShooting in Namibia fraud trialANC
alliance condemns Zuma raidMali MPs push for insecticide banZimbabwe's
unwanted 'foreigners'South Africa's poor losing patienceShould we drink
home brews?Why I love AfricaSend us your pictures of AfricaProgrammes
and schedules

  BBC NEWS:VIDEO AND AUDIO
The challenges ahead for new president Pierre Nkurunziza

SEE ALSO:
Burundi's born-again ex-rebel leader
19 Aug 05 |  Africa
How Burundi's rebels rose to power
08 Jul 05 |  Africa
Tutsi party accepts Burundi poll
07 Jul 05 |  Africa
Burundi rebels say sorry for war
07 Dec 03 |  Africa
Timeline: Burundi
05 Jul 05 |  Country profiles
Country profile: Burundi
26 Feb 04 |  Country profiles

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
UN news about Burundi
UN Operation in Burundi
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

TOP AFRICA STORIES NOW
Ex-rebel becomes Burundi leader

Mbeki calls for 'plot' inquiry

Africans killed in Paris blaze

Nigeria set for crude oil auction

 | What is RSS?

News Alerts E-mail services Mobiles/PDAs Headlines for your site
BBC Copyright Notice Back to top Help Privacy and Cookies Policy News
sources About the BBC Contact us