AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 02:21:37 +0000
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Falcons player changes from woman to man

Adekunle Salami

Former Super Falcons player, Iyabo Abade, has successfully undergone a sex
change operation in the United States.

Abade, a confirmed hermaphrodite, left Nigeria for the operation early last
year after a series of failed attempts to correct the abnormality that led
to his being dropped from the female national team.

He now bears James Johnson.

Hermaphrodite is a person or animal with both male and female organs. While
it is common with animals, it is rare in human beings.

The organs and functions of one or both sexes usually develop imperfectly in
a hermaphrodite. So far, according to the World Book Encyclopedia, few human
cases have been reported.

The medical community has not given a clear reason for this condition but
the most common cause is Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome.

The AIS is the condition in which the body does not respond to the androgen
being produced.

The Falcon player completed the test in the first week of January and did
the final operation two weeks later at Midway Hospital, San Vincente
Boulevard, Los Angeles, California.

Our source revealed that a senior consultant to the hospital and a surgeon,
Dr Gary Alter, was the leader of the team that operated on the Nigerian.

Johnson spent four weeks in the hospital after the operation and is expected
to spend three more recuperating.

When our correspondent called the hospital, Alter confirmed that Johnson had
been discharged.

"He is no longer here and I don't want to speak further on him unless you
get his permission," he said.

The doctor referred our correspondent to one Ms. Zena, who was not available
to pick the two calls put through to her.

Before now, the player had undergone a series of tests, revealing that there
was a preponderance of male hormones in her system.

On the financial aspect, Mr. Sam Etuks, a Nigerian journalist now based in
the USA, told our correspondent that the surgery was funded from Nigeria.

Etuks, an executive of Keay Consult, said over $29,200 was given to Johnson
for the surgery.

An official of the Municipal Affairs Department of the Ministry of Federal
Capital Territory, Abuja, Mr Gozie Eze Onwurie, signed the letter used to
process and send the money to Johnson, while the approval came from the
Director of the Department, Mrs. M.N. Ajanah.

Personal Assistant to Mrs Ajanah, Mr. Sadiq Abubakar, told our correspondent
that the ministry was responsible, 100 per cent, for the treatment of the
former Falcons player.

He said, "We are so happy with the development. The two operations were
successful and we have spoken to her after the operation. A total of
N5.9million was spent.

“It would have been sad to allow a non-Nigerian or group to handle Iyabo's
matter. We are expecting her back soon and we intend to give her a good
reception.

“The minister of FCT, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, gave us his full support and we
thank him for this gesture.”

Johnson last featured for the Federal Capital Territory’s Queens Football
Club before confessing to being a hermaphrodite.

"I am happy that Nigeria responded to the plight of Johnson. We were
initially misinformed that help was not coming from anywhere. But we now
know better," Etuks said.

"She was even given an additional N 500, 000 for her upkeep aside from the
hospital bills. The dollar equivalent was sent to her here in the US."

With the final operation completed, the 19-year-old player is expected to
live a normal life as a man.

He told our correspondent in an interview last year about his wish to play
for the national under 20 team, the Flying Eagles.

Incidentally, the Nigerian U-20 team recently qualified for the 2005 World
Youth Championship, holding in Holland in June.

The player traded the name Iyabo Abade for James Johnson at the preliminary
test stage to reflect his new status as a man.

Attempt on Thursday to speak with Johnson failed.

He is said to be on contract with a media organisation which is doing a
documentary on him.

The Punch, Friday, February 11, 2005