AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Brewoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:57:46 -0600
This is sad. Malaria is treatable but lack of knowledge make my people
perish. The world is a global village for travelers, politicians, war
mongers and economic saboteurs. The scientific and medical worlds are yet to
be globalized. Lets work harder to globalize in all spheres.

I am interested in the last but one paragraph.
"Adam Jackson, director of Kaiser Permanente's travel clinic, said the
choice of malaria-fighting drugs depends on where a person is going, because
some of the drugs are more effective against certain types of "bacteria".
Jackson said he tells travelers to give him as much detail as possible about
where they're going and how long they'll be gone when deciding which drug to
prescribe."

Is this being attributed to the director of the travel clinic or the
journalist's own paraphrase. Any disease is being associated with bacteria.
I have even heard of small pox disease being associated with bacteria.
Bacterium has nothing to do with choice of malaria-fighting drugs. Next time
when you are going back to my beloved tropical world where the mosquitoes
and protozoans are ready for malaria warfare do not rely on antibiotics,
'cos there aint going to do nothing. These drugs have more devastating
effects than what you bargained for, and I know of colleagues who have been
presumably given anti-malaria medications which turned out to be antibiotics
and the experience had been very unpleasant.

Enjoy the best of the temperate January weather.

Ciao.

Joe