From:
Susan First <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan First <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:18:24 -0500

Original Post:
  I don't tolerate eggs any more, but I really like cole slaw.  does anyone
have a recipe, or a brand, that is gf, egg free, and milk free?

1 head of cabbage  =20
1 green pepper
carrots
red peeper
1 med onion
1 cup sugar
1 /2 cup oil (I use olive oil)
1/2 cup water

saturate and let sit in refrig.

you can add any veggie that you like. the real recipe called for just the
onion and pepper
****************
Buy the cole slaw raw in the supermarket and add one of the Annie's salad
dressing to it with a little sugar, if desired.  Trials will get the exact
taste you like.  My family likes the yogurt dressing and the
ranch dressing.  Doing it this way you are sure that it is gluten free.  It
lasts a week or so in the refrigerator.  Good Luck.
***************
Annie's ranch does not have milk.  My daughter and I are also lactose
intolerant, no problem with the yogurt, too little to make a difference.
 Annie's Naturals is in Vermont, 1-800-434-1234, call and see if they sell
in your area.  They have a wide variety of gluten free items.  My daughter
told me she use the honey mustard vinaigrette dressing and it was good.
Just noticed their web site:   www:anniesnaturals.com  contact them.  Salome
*****************************
Cabbage Salad

Stir together:
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. salt
1 small sweet onion, grated

Add:  (using a mixer--NOT a blender):
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 cup oil (very slowly)
1 Tbs. celery seed (optional) (I usually don't.)
1/4 to 1 cake blue cheese (I don't use blue cheese anymore.)

Make this dressing ahead and refrigerate.  Pour dressing over shredded
cabbage just before serving.

(I also use this dressing for spinach/mandarin salad without the onion and
celery seed.)

Mary Anne
*******************
Try Follow Your Heart brand "Vegenaise" It is great for coleslaw. If you
can't find it I can send you a jar, it sells for under7.00 dollars +
shipping. Jan
*******************
I've had an urge for cole slaw too and this is a favorite of ours that I've
had for years but it makes a huge amount so you probably would want to down
size it.

Nine Day Slaw
3 lb head of cabbage
2 green peppers chopped
l large onion chopped
2 cups sugar

Bring to a boil:
l/2 cup veg oil
l cup cider vinegar
2 tsp salt
2 - 3 tsp celery salt
Cool, and pour over cabbage mixture and refrigerate.  The longer it stands
the better it is.

Hope this is a help to you. Nancy
********************
I make a great cole slaw

chop fine one cabbage, salt and let sit for an hour
then rinse salt off, and dry thoroughly

dressing
1 cup mayo [you can find egg free in stores]
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 teas grated fresh ginger
salt and pepper to taste

combine...if you can tolerate it, adding a cup of sour cream to dressing
really adds umph!
************************
With a egg-free, gluten-free grandson,  I had to modify the recipe used by
my grandmother since the early 1900's.  Here it is, and hope it works
for you.  I have never measured it, just stirred and tasted until the right
flavor, color and thickness.

About 1/2 cup may (Veganaise is in the health food dept.   refrigerator
case, no eggs, no dairy)
2-3 tsps or  squirts mustard  (French's works fine, or your preference)
1 tsp sugar (or a sugar free sub. like Splenda, or stevia, or Equal)
2 tab apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper

The Veganaise is hard to find at first.  Nobody but my daughter and me knew
that there was a change in the recipe and everyone slurped up the
cole slaw as usual.
****************
I find this dressing very versatile and goes well with slaw.

Cashew Dressing
1 cup cashew pieces
1 cup water
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1tab honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup red capsicum (optional)

Blend all ingredients together. Keep in frig.
This thickens in the frig.
Delicious as a dressing, dip or on baked potatoes

Jeanette
***********************
This recipe comes to you from Epicurious
(http://www.epicurious.com).  To search our database of more than 16,000
other recipes from Gourmet and Bon Appetit magazines, visit the Recipe File
(http://eat.epicurious.com/recipes).
You may view this recipe online at
(http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=3D106830)

Visit the Shop @ Epicurious - The ultimate marketplace for food lovers!
Find great deals from our favorite sources of the finest gourmet foods, the
latest kitchenware, wine accessories, and more:
http://eat.epicurious.com/shop