From:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:01:09 -0500

I recently posted a warning to this group about Penzeys Spices, based
on information I received from someone at the corporate offices of
the company.  I was told that the supplier who provides their garlic
uses wheat flour to dust the conveyer belts in processing.

I received a number of posts from long-time, very loyal Penzeys
Spices users, saying that the information cannot be true, because
these spices (including garlic) have never made them sick. I was told
there was one individual who called Penzeys and "went to the top"
(though did not provide me with any name of who they spoke with) to
be told that the information about garlic was totally inaccurate, and
that gluten is not an issue.

I'm rather busy with work right now, but I do plan on getting to the
bottom of the information I was given by someone at Penzeys.  I am
especially motivated because something caused a reaction in me, and
the spices are the only repeat food I can come up with.  (Gluten does
not, by the way, cause any digestive problems for me -- it is a very
specific pain, deep in my joints, and not at all similar to general
arthritis.)

I plan on asking an officer of the company to send me an e-mail,
reassuring that none of their spice suppliers use wheat flour in
their processing.  I understand, from members who wrote to me, that
this is a very good company, with an excellent reputation.  If/when I
receive that written information, I will post it to the group.  For
me, I will not feel comfortable eating the spices again until I know
-- but I do want to sort it out.

-Suzanne