Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:14:22 -0500

My bread recipe is Bette Hagman's from 'the Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy'.

I'd like to thank Bette Hagman, I've been using all her books since I found the first kid with the problem, Now I have 5 children and myself to cook gluten-free for.

With the info from the above book and her later book 'Bakes Bread' This is my modified 'New Formula Yeast Bread', the first recipe in 'Fast and Healthy'.

This is (for my family) Free from  EGG YOLK, SOYBEAN, CORN, DAIRY.  I first used this recipe in a bread machine, that I had procrastinated to use for over 2 years and after a dozen or so loaves, it died.  So I'm back to making a double batch and filling up medium sized baking tins, about 5 or 6.  I oil and flour bread tins and use Reynolds Release Foil in the muffin tins.

The GF Bread Flour Mix is:
1 part White Rice Flour
1 Part Brown Rice Flour
2/3 part Potato Starch Flour
1/3 part Tapioca Flour

Preheated Oven is 400 Degrees.  Rising time varies from 30 minutes to 60 minutes. The bread is ready to cook when risen about 1/4 below the rim of pan.  Makes rolls from muffin tins, cook these only 20 minutes with out covering as stated below.

Cover bread 15 minutes into cook time, so tops don't over brown, cover with foil.

Small loaves cook total time 45 minutes, Medium loaves 65 minutes, times will vary with ovens.  Loaf should sound hollow when knocked/thumped.  Cool before slicing if you want nice slices.

I make several flour mix batches up and store so bread making is quick when the time comes.

Mix Dry Ingredient together:  This is my double ingredients.

3 cups GF Bread Flour Mix
3 cups Sorghum Flour

4 Tablespoon Potato Buds
5 teaspoons guar gum

2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoon Egg Replacer
1/2 cup 'Vance's' DariFree

1/2 cup of sugar or less

2 Tablespoon Caraway Seed
1 Tablespoon Anise Seed

2 1/4 teaspoons yeast  Yeast is not doubled, if halving the recipe this is the same amount of yeast you use.

WET INGREDIENTS:  Add mixed dry ingredients when wet ingredients are together, then mix about 4 minutes in heavy duty mixer then spoon into tins.

1 1/3 cups of Eggbeaters or All Whites
6 Tablespoons of oil

2 teaspoons vinegar
2 Tablespoons molasses

3 1/3 cups of 110 to 120 degrees water

Caraway Seeds and Anise are optional, just the way we make it, like rye bread, or Cinnamon and lemon peel and almonds with dates put through food processor.

After putting in tin, you can put them in the freezer before rising for later use.

Happy Baking.
Robin in Florida