Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:06:33 -0600

Dear Listmates -

Wow!  What a great group!
I got 65 responses on this.
If any late responses come in, I'll post another
summary (with just the late responses) in a day or two.

Here is Summary 1:
-Bio-Gest (digestive enzymes) works best for this listmate, and Reuteri
by Primadophilus.
  Thyroid deficiency can cause flatulence, so get a TSH test.
Another listmate suggested digestive enzymes in general.
Another said to take them with each meal, along with L-Glutamine (which
is what I
already do - doesn't help my getting gassy).

-Several listmates suggested taking Gas X.  One suggested Phazyme.
Another suggested Beano. One suggested Pepto Bismol. Another
suggestd taking Metamucil or psyllium husks, but Metamucil and
psyllium husks give me gas, and I have lots of fiber in my diet.

-Two listmates suggested a homeopathic remedy, under-the-tongue,
called Verbatrum Album, or Veratrum Alb 30C.
One also suggested a serving of fresh pineapple every day (has enzymes
that help).

-Intolerance to dietary yeast can cause flatulence.

-Both caffeine and carbonated beverages can cause flatulence (I don't
  consume either).

-Lactose intolerance can cause flatulence (I don't eat/drink milk
products) -
Another said to eat Dannon plain yogurt, but I can't eat that.

-Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and anything else in the cabbage family.
Another said to eliminate beans.  Another said to limit or avoid soy.
One listmate said that Kimchi cabbage is OK, though...I don't know what
that is.

-One listmate provided a link to a web site that has a Gas and Flatulence
Prevention diet:  <http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs12.htm>

-One listmate said to eat lots of high fiber foods like raw veggies and
fruit.
Another said to eat fats and proteins and stop eating carbohydrates.
Another said to avoid complex carbohydrates.
Fats make me gassy, so I'll pass on eating fats.

-One said to avoid both legumes and lactose, plus anything in the
cabbage family.

-One listmade said it could be calcium supplements that cause gas.

-Two listmates suggested fennel tea, and one of them suggested chewing
fennel seeds.
One especially finds fresh grated nutmeg helpful
(brewing a tea from it or chewing and swallowing it), and that fresh ground
cardamom helps. Another listmate says that eating several pieces of
ginger helps,
and that walking and stretching helps.

-One listmate says that eating slower and chewing food longer may help

-Another said to try eliminating one food at a time - beef and prunes
set off her
and her husband.  That may be a clue- I don't eat beef - but I was
eating dried
sweet cherries (lots) and drinking lots of cherry juice, blueberry juice
and
pomegranate juice.

-One listmate said to take a couple of charcoal tablets when needed.

-One listmate said that maybe there is some gluten in a food I eat or a
beverage,
but that is not the case.

WHEW!  That's it!
So I guess something different works for each person.
Vicki