From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:55:39 -0500

Part 2 of this summary includes:  IgA testing (stool testing), Peptide
testing (urine test), Intestinal Permeability testing (urine testing), and
dietary testing.  Web addresses and comments from me are preceded with [ME].

I'd appreciate any reputable medical web sites or scientific articles that
compare the reliability of these types of tests.  I'll share the info I get,
if any, with the list.

_______________
IgA TESTING [STOOL TEST]:
[ME]  Description of the stool test for milk proteins (from Enterolabs:
http://www.enterolab.com/Information_About_Tests/#stool_milk_sensitivity)

enterolabs.com has and IgA stool test for casein intolerance (just like
their gluten test but for casein antibodies).   my friends who have done it
and gotten positive results have been able to easily verify those results
with food challenges.  they also have tests for dietary yeast and eggs.

My nephew was tested by Enterolab. He was found to be intolerant to three
different proteins in milk (one of them being casein) Dr. Fine tested me.  I
thought that I was lactose intolerant so I had the test.  I had constant
headaches on the left side of my head.  The test came back with intolerance
to casein or milk protein, and he said there was no part of dairy that I
could tolerate due to it.  When I stopped eating it, all the headaches
disappeared.

Dr. Fine will test for gluten, milk and eggs.  And he is on the Internet.

Your doctor is wrong. I was tested for dairy and yeast  by mail by Dr.
Kenneth Fine at http://www.enterolab.com. He in my opinion knows more about
Celiac and other food sensitivities than anybody else in the US.  I was
found to have autoimmune reactions to three proteins in dairy including
casein. Dairy makes my legs and knees ache and makes me fatigued.

Dr. Fine offers a test that measures immune response to dairy proteins.
https://www.enterolab.com/Tests/Orders/. I have not taken that one, but had
my daughter tested for that one (negative, luckily). I can also tolerate
just small amounts of dairy, after avoiding it for 4-5 months (severe joint
pain and fatigue were main symptoms). It used to make me itch also, but the
reactions are much lower now. I was drinking lots of Boost which is lactose
free but not casein free, before the aches developed. If I overdo anything
now, I develop reactions, so am following a rotation diet -- definitely more
variety in my diet, which is really not a bad thing (I'm talking myself into
this positive spin).

Dr. Fine offers tests for casein intolerance (and to yeast and eggs, I
think). I'd guess if you have been avoiding it though, you would test
negative or at least fairly low.

_____________
PEPTIDE TEST [URINE TEST]
[ME] Description of Peptides for Gluten/Casein (from Great Plains
Laboratories):  www.greatplainslaboratory.com/glutencasein.html
[ME] Description of Gluten/Casein Peptide Test (from Great Plains
Laboratories):  www.greatplainslaboratory.com/test6.html

There is a urinary peptide test available via Great Plains laboratories.
tests for casein and/or gluten peptides in the urine, indicating that gluten
and casein are leaking through the gut wall into the blood stream ,where of
course they wreak all kinds of havoc.

_____________
 INTESTINAL PERMEABILITY TEST [URINE TEST]

Great Smokies Labs has a presence online and I hear they have a urinary
peptide test for this.

[ME] I didn't find a peptide test from Great Smokies Lab, but I did find an
intestinal permeability test...  http://www.gsdl.com/assessments/ip/

___________________
TESTING VIA DIET:
You can do it yourself.....stay off the food group [not just the ind food
for ten days.  On an empty stomach, first take and record you pulse and then
take a small amt [in isolation] of the suspected food.  Thirty, sixty and
ninety min later take and record your pulse.  ANY RISE ABOVE TEN PERCENT
INDICATES A FOOD ALLERGY! You can find this technique describe in DR COCOA'S
PULSE TEST FOR ALLERGIES, a paperback available at B&N or Amazon. and was
originally recommended by Carlton Fredericks who said that scratch tests
were only as good as the person reading it. In this technique you are
dealing with numbers!

The easiest way to figure it out is don't eat any cow products for a week
and then test either the lactose or casein and beef at separate times.  If
you actually keep the food items out of your diet and then try them a
reaction should be quick, with in 24 hours if not sooner.

__________________
INTERESTING INFO OF ANOTHER SORT: From what I have read and heard, the
breath test for Lactose Intolerance is not very reliable.  When eating
dairy, have you tried Lactase to see if it helps you? Might help you decide
if you have a lactose intolerance or not.

the University of Sutherland, UK has research into Autism and casein, CD etc
and they test for Casein in urine samples.

I would suggest you to ask your questions at this other excellent forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages/?ctx=16  There are kind and
knowledgeable people to answer you, among them doctors.

I can tell I'm allergic to casein, from diarrhea, and then after that my
skin started reacting.  I took away milk, and no prob.  Years before that I
had problems w/ lactose.  I figured that out because when I took lactase
pills, I had no stomach problems.

I had terrible and immediate reactions to dairy, which honestly was more
devastating than loosing bread.  Then as a last mournful attempt, I tried
raw milk, and had NO problems.  None ever, no matter how much I drank.  They
make tons of raw cheese also.  I think it must be because the enzymes are
present in the milk (not killed by pasteurizing) and aid in digestion.
However, it's not legal to sell it in every state, so check out Jersey laws,
maybe NY too.  I get it at Whole Foods in Cali.  I thinks there's a big
blurb about raw milk on Mercola's website (www. mercola.com??)