From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:05:22 -0500

You need to be aware that Atkins bars DO CONTAIN GLUTEN.  The FDA in US
states that a food product may be considered gf if it contains less that
200 parts per million of gluten.  Since we can and do reacte to one
molecule of gluten, this is a stupid and erroneous reg.
I called Atkins to task on this because the gluten containing
ingredients were weird and other gf items could have easily been sub.
In one instance, the ingredient was ground oat leaf.

Since we celiacs can and do react to even one molecule of gluten, this
does us no good.  It also explains why we react to so-called "gf"
foods.  We need to get this reg off the books.  In Canada, "gf" means no
gluten, in the US it means no gluten expect for those 200 parts per
million,

So if you are going to do Atkins.....read the ingredients!!

ps. I posted this info several years ago..it should be in archives.