BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Marc E. Christensen" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:14:02 -0600
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, June 4, 1997

Extra! Extra! Extra! Read all about it....

                         University of Utah's
                 Center for Disabled Student Services
                              ANNOUNCE
        NEW linux-access Pages and Mirror of Blinux FTP Site.

CDSS which is used by both developers and users of the Linux operating
system in order to aid development and integration of access related
technology into the Linux OS and available software.

        "CDSS has been hosting the linux-access mailing list and web pages
since it's conception in July of 1996.  Our effort in re-doing the pages
and the addition of the blinux FTP mirror help to show our continued
commitment to the Linux community" said Marc Christensen, the head system
operator at CDSS.  He was also heard saying "We like the blinux FTP site a
whole lot because it has a lot of neat toys and other really cool
stuff...and it complements our site so well that how could we possibly
pass up the opportunity to mirror it..." - or something along those lines.

        "Accessibility related technology benefits everyone.  It's kind
of like the space program, not every one is going to go to the moon but
almost every one enjoys writing upside down with a pressurized ball point
pen - which was a spin-off from that program.  Just like that, every one
benefits from things like voice recognition, home appliance automation,
speaking biffs, audio WEB navigation, etc.", said Marc as he was musing
on the subject.

        Among all those so excited about the news were a few opponents
stating that all that had really been done was some make lame graphics for
headings and put a lot of effort into a 'not-too-flashy' layout.  In
response Marc was heard saying "...uh, yup, I think that's all I did..."
or something like that.

        Both users and developers of Linux are encouraged to join the
mailing list and help Linux become more accessible to everyone.  Among
those encouraged to subscribe to the list are companies making Linux
distributions so that they can incorporate access technology into their
products as well as get valuable feedback from users.

Location of the new pages is at:
        http://ssv1.union.utah.edu/linux-access/

Location of the blinux FTP mirror is at
        ftp://ssv1.union.utah.edu/pub/mirrors/blinux/
      or
        http://ssv1.union.utah.edu/pub/mirrors/blinux/

An archive of the mailing list can be found on the Linux v2 Information HQ
site at:
        http://www.linuxhq.com/lnxlists/linux-access/

                                 ###

--
Marc Christensen               |  Check out the linux-access pages.
SysOp CDSS University of Utah  |  linux-access - Making a difference!