Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:30:28 EST

Donato's is a pizza chain (owned by McDonald's, I think) with locations in
Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan?  They just started making a crustless pizza after
watching people on the low-card diets rip the toppings off the crust and eat
them.  Unfortunately, my husband is the one who stopped at a Donato's and bought
us pizzas (he is also gf).  He asked no questions about preparation methods.
I had already checked with someone over the phone who read me the list of
ingredients in the soy chips that are the base for the "crustless" pizza.  They
sounded gf to me.
  We bought two personal size pizzas with different toppings.  Each pizza
came in a sturdy paper plate with a bit of a rim to hold it in place.  I assume
they were baked in these plates since they were kind of stuck to them.  Anyway,
they tasted pretty good and neither of us got sick.  And we both get sick if
we eat even a small amount of gluten.
  Some people had cross-contamination concerns.  I will go to Donato's myself
next time and try to check this out.  I do know celiacs who take their own
pizza crust to pizza places and have them put on sauce and toppings and bake in
the ovens with the other regular pizzas.  At first glance, this "crustless"
pizza baked in its own plate seems as safe if not safer than taking in a gf
crust.
  I am just sharing info, not trying to talk anyone into doing anything that
they are not comfortable with.  It will certainly be nice to have another
option when eating out.
   Barb in Springfield, OH