Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:05:03 EST

I received mixed responses, so I will copy them below,  I had my husband buy
a clear Tequila of his choice before I got the responses.  He bought  Jose
Cortez Tequila and I felt funny after one sip of a marguerita made with it.
Nowhere on the bottle does it even mention the Agave plant,as someone had
recommended checking. So I may try Jose Cuervo Gold again since I felt okay
after
drinking it and it is so smooth.
Thanks very much to all who responded.  It is great to have others'
experience to rely on.  Laurie

Here are the responses:

Yes, it is GF!
------------------------
you bet
-----------------------
Almost every thing Smirnoff sells is g/f.  Here is the list and you could
call for a new one.
They will email it now.  I got this by snail mail.
(Note from laurie: This helpful list was an attachment
and I will send it to anyone who wants it, although you may want to contact
Smirnoff for a more recent list.)
My understanding is whatever they add to make it dark may not be GF.  Same
with light rum and Dark rum.
Cuervo Gold Tequila must be GF.  I've been drinking it ever since I was
diagnosed 9 years ago and have never had a reaction.  I really think that all
tequilas are GF - although I have never contacted any company to get the
definitive
answer on this.
yes it is GF
------------------------
I had joint pain and migraines for a month and finally tracked it to the two
margaritas (1 a week for 2 weeks) I enjoyed while cooking dinner.  It turns
out that Jose Cuervo Especial Tequila (the darker stuff) has carmel coloring
in it and since it is made in Mexico, there is gluten in it.  Once I stopped
drinking it, all the pain went away -- amazing!
----------------------------
My advice personally in terms of what I have experienced:

Stay away from anything Jose Cuervo!  It tends to be a low-grade Tequila
product and purported where they mix other inferior (and probably
gluten-containing) alcohol into their product(s) to produce the final
result.  I have had
headaches & gluten upsets (long time ago back when I was actually consuming
their
products) - just not worth it.  Seems like they are set up to manufacture in
bulk volume without regard to quality & pureness of their product(s).

Safest Tried & True Results:  Stick with Tequilas which explicitly state on
their label:   Made from 100% Blue Agave.  That way you at least have some
indication that the product isn't made with inferior & possibly
gluten-containing
alcohols.  I usually stick with Patron and Don Julio - those two are my
favorite & 100% from the Blue Agave Plant.
--

This is a note my daughter got back from Diageo. -deb
________________original message___________________________

Thanks so much for contacting us regarding our gluten free products. We
love being able to assist and support our customers!

I have attached a list of our gluten free products. Please let me know
if you have any difficulty accessing this document.

Thanks again for contacting us, have a wonderful day.

Cheers!

Robyn Placek
Consumer Relations
Diageo North America
Plainfield, IL
800 767-3123

<<gluten-free-brands.doc>>

(Note from Laurie:  the document listed the following tequilas as gf. If you
want to email me, I will send the whole doc, as it was an attachment.)
TEQUILAS
Jose Cuervo Especial
Jose Cuervo Tradicional
Reserva de la Familia de Jose Cuervo