From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:32:05 -0800

When the body is stressed, no matter what the stressor (celiac disease,
gluten exposure, food allergies, rapidly falling blood sugar, emotional
upset, pressures at work, trauma, etc.) the response is the same from the
adrenal glands.  The stress stimulates the adrenals to simultaneouly
release high amounts of TWO major adrenal hormones: cortisol
(hydrocortizone) and epinephrine (adrenalin).  Epinephrine is responsible
for the familiar "fight or flight" response with anxiety, jitters,
nervousness, racing heart, muscle tension (often with pain), anger, fear,
etc.  These symptoms are not the result of cortisol release.  Cortisol
release actually buffers some of the effects of epinephrine and many
other stress responses (such as histamine release.)  Because these two
hormones are released simultaneously, I believe the effects of their
release are easily confused.  Jitters, nervousness, racing heart -- basic
"flight or flight" symptoms -- are not listed as physiological effects of
cortisol release in any of my reference books.  But, the "fight or
flight" symptoms are listed as symptoms of epinephrine (adrenalin).
        I've had epinephrine (adrenalin) shots for severe allergic reactions,
the reaction is clearly jitters, nervousness, anxiety, anger, etc.-- the
typical "fight or flight" reaction.   I've also taken cortisol in both
low physiologic and high therapudic doses.  The reaction to cortisol is
not at all like epinephrine.  If anything, cortisol has a calming,
pleasing effect on mood; not an aggravating effect.
        In my humble opinion, I believe the shakey, jittery, ikky feeling one
gets several hours after high carb meals is caused by the release of
epinephrine(adrenalin) not cortisol.  Both cortisol and epinephrine (as
well as other hormones) help elevate blood sugar when it is dropping too
rapidly from the insulin rush, but it's the epinephrine that causes the
geared-up-for-a-fight feeling.  If the body can't produce enough hormones
to stop a rapidly dropping blood sugar, it puts on the breaks with
epinephrine which has the unfortunate side effect of preparing us for a
fight whether we need one or not!  ha ha!
        When the adrenals are damaged from excessive stress, the levels of the
various hormones can become out of balance, producing too much or too
little of one or the other hormones.  Supplementing with one single
hormone may or may not correct the adrenal insufficiency or could even
make it worse if it's the wrong hormone.  That is why many naturopaths
and holistic doctors prefer a safer, more conservative and comprehensive
approach to adrenal hormone support by prescribing whole adrenal gland
extract as well as vitamins & herbs to nourish the adrenal glands back to
health.  Whole adrenal gland extract contains miniscule amounts of all 50
adrenal hormones in the natural physiological balance found in a healthy
mammal rather than one single hormone as found in a prescription of
cortisol or epinephrine.  Adrenal extract also contains various
components of the gland that can nourish the sick gland back to a better
state of health.
        When I recently underwent a series of severe stresses, my adrenal
glands
were obviously not able to respond appropriately and my body went totally
out of whack.  I posted about the excessive "hypoglycemia", severe
anxiety, racing heart, dehydration, etc.  I can't say exactly what
adrenal hormone was being over or under produced, but I can report that
the symptoms were reversed when I began taking whole adrenal gland
extract with supportive vitamins & herbs.  I've been using this product
with good results for two months now.  (Stress EZE by Phoenix
Nutritionals.  There are many similar adrenal support products on the
market.)
Dictionary, Lange 2002 Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment, Marieb's
Human Anatomy and Physiology, Medical-Surgical Nursing by Long & Phipps,
Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome by Wilson]  ~ Valerie
in Tacoma

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!