From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:11:13 -0500

Questions:  Is it possible to test for casein sensitivity or intolerance?
Have you, or someone you know, had such testing done?  If so, what were the
results?  Did your GI doc agree with the testing procedure and results?

Background:  I have been GF for 14+ months.  I have been dairy free (off and
on) for 9+ months.  I have finally begun feeling 'like myself' in the last
month or so.  I still do NOT have all my energy and strength back, but I can
again function like a normal person most of the time.

I don't have noticeable problems eating small amounts of dairy over short
periods of time.  But, if I go back to eating dairy normally, I feel
terrible (both digestive and fatigue issues).

I just got tested for lactose intolerance (breath test), and the testing
came back negative.  My GI doc told me there is no testing for casein
sensitivity or intolerance.  Since so many folks state they are both gluten
and casein intolerant, I wondered how it was possible that there is no test
for casein intolerance.

I will summarize the responses I get.

Dawn @ the Jersey Shore