From:
Lisa Cherry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Cherry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 04:34:28 GMT

I wanted to summarize the replies I received for anyone else out there who may be interested.  You can find out more about this diet at www.hacres.com  I received one reply from a mother and son who have been taking Barley Max and Barley Green  and have been doing great on it.  The mother has been taking the product for 6 years and her son has been on the product for 6 weeks.  She recommends the diet to others all the time.  Two other replies said that I should be wary of the Barley Max because it is not the gluten that we need to be concerned with but the gliadin protein in the grain and that not all grains mature at the same time and that it would be almost impossible for the product to be gluten free.  They also asked if the company had tested the product for gluten.  The company says that they do not test the product for gluten at this time due to cost.

This diet just intrigued me and I was curious if other celiacs had tried it and whether or not they reacted to the Barley Green.  The idea of juicing and taking the Barley did not really interest me as much as the idea that God only listed fruits, vegetables and seeds/nuts in his original plan for Adam and Eve.  I have been really trying to come up with a different approach to living gluten free.  The best suggestion I have heard yet came from a reply that was posted just the other day about not trying to find everything GF, spending hours & hours running from store to store reading every ingredient label and just buy foods with ONE ingredient, shop the outer aisles, bake, grill or crockpot your meat, steam your veggies and eat them in salads, and snack on fruits and nuts.  Whoever posted that just answered my prayers because that makes so much more sense to me.   Trying to live the way I have been is so stressful and I am sick of it.  My only concern is trying to get the children to accept not having the processed/packaged stuff.  We have never had a lot of junk food even before CD, but we still use alot of canned, boxed and bagged products that are best just eliminated.  I am looking for the two books that listmate recommended BREAKING THE VICIOUS CYCLE by Elaine Gottshall and NOURISHING TRADITIONS by Sally Fallon.  I really feel that this is the answer I've been looking for.  I think you really do go through stages before you reach that point where you want to see the better alternative to replacing your old wheat products with gluten free ones.  Wish me luck because I really want this to work out.  I'm going to give it my all.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!  You guys are great!
Blessings,
Lisa  :0)
<>< psalm 139 ><>