Date:
Mon, 31 May 2004 11:36:01 -0700

I was an experienced bread maker for over 25 years prior to being
diagnosed with celiac disease over three years ago.  So when I and my two
sons began the GF diet, I thought making GF bread would be a minor
adjustment.  I experimented with dozens of different recipes and
ingredients and even bought a Kitchen Aid Mixer.  But, nothing I did
consistently produced a decent loaf.  I finally settled on making
sandwich buns from a KinniKennick mix.  If the buns were eaten within 12
hours of baking them, they were acceptable.  But any longer & they
crumbled to pieces & tasted very flat & dry.  YUK!  I found myself
needing to make a batch every morning for my high school son's lunches.
It was very time consuming, expensive and the results were often
disappointing.

Another disadvantage I found with GF breads was nutritional.  The GF
breads are typically made with highly refined empty calorie starches such
as tapioca, potato starch, white rice flour, etc.  Not to mention all
those "phoney" food ingredients such as guar gum, xanthan gum, etc.
which are really just gooey, indigestible carbohydrates that are well
known for causing GI problems.  When my son was eating GF bread buns
every day, he constantly complained of loose bowel movements several
times a day.  He had never had the problem before, even before the GF
diet!  Everytime I ate GF breads, I got cramps & bloating.

My son's next year in high school, he decided to bring regular food,
leftovers from dinner the night before in Glad plastic entree containers.
 He heated them in a microwave oven I brought to school & kept in the
choir room.  He with his delicious, fragrant home cooked meals was the
envy of all his friends who were stuck with stale sandwiches or greasy
school cafeteria food.  His health improved on this more nutritious food.
 I spent less time in the kitchen fussing over GF bread & more time
making tasty dinners for my whole family.

Now he's in college & still carries dinner leftovers to school for his
lunch.  I only occasionally make sandwich buns when we have hamburgers.
But no one misses the daily GF bread routine, especially me!

Valerie in Tacoma

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!