From:
Joe Guenther <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:17:12 -0500
Ok now bear with me because this is kind of a long problem.  I first got myself
into a mess when i tried upgrading Windows ME to WinXP.  The upgrade was
progressing as it should be until it got to a point in the installation to where
the computer needed to be restarted.  After i restarted the computer i could no
longer get into windows.  I decided to format the hard drive, but at the time i
could not figure out how to get a command prompt; i took a hard drive from an
old computer that i had to use it to get into
windows and set the hard drive that was giving me trouble as a slave.  I
formatted the bad hard drive from dos and then tried to install WinXP again; the
same thing happened and i messed up my other hard drive also, so once again i
could not get into windows.  I took my hard drive out accedently breaking the
IDE cable in the process, and left the original computer hard drive in the unit.
When i got a new cable the computer started to boot up, but eventually got to a
screen that said "Operating system missing."
I made boot disks from the Freepctech website and tried to install Win98 on the
computer but this also did not work.  The process would get to the point to
where it says "Windows is now running a check on your system" and it would
freeze.  Does anyone know how i can get an operating system installed on this
computer, I would appreciate any help anyone can give.  Sorry for the long post

  Thanks,
    Joe

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml