C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 17:06:09 -0600
Mike, and others,

I don't think any of us are (or would want to be) completely
independent.  My wife and I depend on each other for things that an
average couple in their early forties might not, but it helps bring us
closer, usually.

I think we all strive to do as much for ourselves as we can, but the
"complete independence" philosophy backfires on me usually, so I've
accepted the fact that there are some things I'm going to need help
with.  My goal is to not be a pain in the a** when I need to ask for
help, and also not be a pain in the a** when someone asks for my help,
or if someone asks if I need help.  Of course, when somebody hijacks my
chair when they're being "helpful," I don't hesitate to let them know.

Kendall Corbett
Coordinator of Consumer Activities
Wyoming INstitute for Disabilities (WIND)
1000 University Ave.
Dept. 4298
Laramie Wyoming 82071
(307) 766-2853