Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:14:15 -0800
Linda Denny wrote:
>I have virtually let this computer run non-stop since 2001, rebooting

Have you ever opened the case and cleaned it? If not, I would suspect that
it is loaded with a lot of dust. Dust is the number one killer of fans. In
any case, you may have to open the box to change out a fan.

>the computer is making a "fluttery, chirping" noise (best choice of words I
can think of).

I understand this terminology. Inside the box you may have as many as three
fans. The chirping you hear is the sleeve bearing going bad.

> I really think it is my power supply fan but that leads to my real
question.  Is there a way to know or test if my power supply fan is going
bad before it is too late?

If you suspect the power supply then I would listen at the back of the box
when the noise starts. You ca also feel some air exhausting from the back of
the box. In fact, look at the blades of the fan. If they are gray and not
black, you have a serious dust problem. If it appears to be a definite
source, you will have to open the box and at this time I would replace the
power supply due to age and dust accumulation.  My instinct tells me that it
could be the CPU fan. In either case, open the box look and listen. Both are
critical components to your system.

As for blowing out the box with your breath, please don't try this. In my
years of working with computers I find the dust inside to be an eye irritant
and besides you have to inhale and I assure you that the dust will produce
respiratory problems. I wear a mask and eye protection. Cans of air or a
small compressor will do well providing the compressor will have enough
force to remove the dust.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers